We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Egg size

cerisescerises Junior Member
edited June 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi folks, I am new to the chicken world, and am really enjoying our five beautiful black rock chooks. Silly question from someone who is in the very early stages of learning about her girls, but could you tell me why some eggs from my 22 to 24 week old hens are so large and others so small? When do chickens start laying regular sized eggs. No complaints of course, as they all taste pretty amazing. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    theyre still young with you yet so you'll find they will probably start off with small eggs then the next cycle of eggs will be larger and more uniform. youve probably got some there that have started later than the others. Once they are mature the eggs will be more of a similar size but you could still find the occasional weenie e.g. when they start laying again after a break
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited June 2010
    You will probably also find when your hens are fully mature that some hens always lay larger eggs than others and that the colours are often quite different in different hens,
    Sandie
  • ashgroveinnashgroveinn Senior Member
    edited June 2010
    And... You will find your Black Rocks are awesome layers, like little machine-guns they are!
  • cerisescerises Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    Thank you so much.....I feel reassured that all is well now........I was amazed yesterday.....I had one egg that weighed in at 102grams, and another that was just 50grams......all delicious, no matter what the size......thanks again, it is so nice to know that there are people with knowledge that I can turn to when I have a problem with my chooks.
    Lynn