We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken grooming

BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
edited February 2010 in "Off Your Chest"
I may put this as a post in the other forum, but would just like to ask has anyone seen one ( dominant) hen grooming another? Usually that gets pecked on , not helped out!
My honcho hen, Jalfrezi, was spotted cleaning my recently sick now much better hen, Biryani. She pulled gently at her vent feathers to relieve her of some dryed up poo that had got there earlier.(Don't worry , she is due a bath, but wanted to do it when the sun was hotter).
Does anyone have experience of this? I have only seen it in siblings/close friendships...
L:confused:

Comments

• scoobyscooby Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Hi,

I havent seen the poop grooming but my girls sometimes groom each other around the face and remove bits of food ( like grass or porridge ) or pull at long bits of half swallowed straw that have been part eaten by mistake.

The dominance thing in my little group is virtually non existant now though. It was quite apparent when I first got them and the eldest seemed to lay the law down but they gradually learned each others ways and habits. Now everyone can eat at the same bowl at the same time etc, no one gets pecked and they all seem to rub along together at whatever they are doing so perhaps the face grooming is part of the bonding.

Makes me wonder wether I would upset the balence if I introduced anymore or if my bunch would tollerate them like they tollerate each other.

My light sussex also needs a bath but I think May bank hol would be a good time. Thats when I used to give my horse his first bath of the year!

Scooby
  • BaltiAngelBaltiAngel Senior Member
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Scooby, I was wondering whether all this means that the potential for "society" within chickens..behaviour and natural habits, etc has so much potential that we miss it?
    I'm glad that I am privaledged to watch and learn, its awe inspiring!
    L