We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

weird eggs!! very weird :!

I have been getting some strange eggs! They are brown with little white speckles. The shape is fine. When I go to wash the poop off all the color comes off the eggs and leaves a very light brown egg. The problem is it comes off wherever you rub it so it doesn't come off evenly unless you scrub every inch which is time consuming. SO it get eggs with weird spots after their washed!! Also why is it when you wash a chunk of feces of an egg it is lighter there where the poop used to be than the rest of the egg?

Comments

• ChickFlixChickFlix Junior Member
    edited February 2010
    Good question!
    Some of my eggs also lose the brown colour when washed. No ideal why but I do not wash eggs as a rule.
  • edited February 2010
    why don't you wash the eggs?
  • gen1gen1 Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    I don't wash my eggs either because apparently it stops the protective membrane forming round the egg that stops bacteria seeping through the shell or something, I can't remember exactly but I read it somewhere and havn't washed them since! (I will remove faeces with a damp cloth that has been wrung out as much as poss though)
  • hardygeraniumhardygeranium Junior Member
    edited May 2010
    I read about this only today! Apparently the brown eggs have their colour deposited in a thin layer on the top so the colour comes off when you wash them or rub them. Only the blue eggs have colour that goes all the way through the shell.