We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Battery Hens

lisajmlisajm Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Producers and Vets
Hi,
I live in the Midlands well Stourbridge area, just purchased my new chicken cop and run and would like to save some battery farm chickens. Can anyone advise me where I can buy them from? :)

Comments

• KerryKerry Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    lisajm wrote:
    Hi,
    I live in the Midlands well Stourbridge area, just purchased my new chicken cop and run and would like to save some battery farm chickens. Can anyone advise me where I can buy them from? :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum. henrehomers.net are rehoming some battery hens the 27th February, take a look at their site, they have a collection point in Birmingham from what i have read and re home hens for a donation of £1.50a hen. I hope this helps and good luck with your hens, we're hoping to rescue a few our selves soon.
    All the best Kerry.
  • lisajmlisajm Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Many thanks for your reply I shall try there.
  • iloveexbatsiloveexbats Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    I got my girls from the Battery Hen Welfare Trust. They have co-ordinators right across England and are extremely helpful.
  • kennethwkennethw Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    I purchased (well for a donation) 3 ex battery hens locally, try local animal welfare groups as well, also local farms may have factory birds for disposal. It is a pleasure to see them find a new life and they just love being free range when I can let them out of their run, but it takes time and a little patience as they know nothing of outside life even down to entering a coop and drinking from a dish or drinker, let alone what greenstuff or worms are. If you already have other chickens keep them seperate as they have no knowlege of flock etiquette and established birds will set upon them. And they are proving to be the best layers even at this time of the year two eggs most days