We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

white stripes on my brown eggs

alison treasurealison treasure Junior Member
edited March 2010 in Producers and Vets
Hi, I'm very sorry about this but I am a consumer wanting to know why my eggs I bought recently all had white bands around them, like they had been sprayed brown. Is this all it is -- they have been sprayed brown to add to their appeal, or is it something else? What is the spray, would anyone be able to tell me?
Thanks,
Alison

Comments

• kernowclickkernowclick Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi Alison,

I can't give you a definitive answer about your eggs as I obviously haven't seen them. I would be suprised if they had been sprayed as I wouldn't have thought this practice was allowed as it's selling by deception. Did they come from a supermarket, shop or a private seller? You should be able to trace their origin. Does the colour wash off? If so and you are still suspicious you could contact your local Trading Standards Office.

Having said all this I have a couple of hens who lay odd coloured eggs. They are basically brown but I can only describe them as looking like the vitiligo skin condition. And they don't always lay them, sometimes I don't see any for months then , there they are again. One of nature's jokes.
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I have a hen which regularly lays eggs which have a ring or rings around the middle of the egg which are much lighter than the rest of the egg. She lives on the same diet as the other hens who lay 'normal' eggs and is very free range, and no dye! It probably doesn't mean anything,
    regards, sandie
  • katannekatanne Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    taht bsounds very upsetting. i think, stripes on an egg are just normal..=)