We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

plymouth productivity

scoobyscooby Senior Member
edited January 2010 in Producers and Vets
I aquired a plymouth rock bantam at the end of Sept ( Buffy- the eggs layer )who I think was around 12 months old. She laid her first egg (for me that is, dont think it was her first time of laying ) on 6th Dec and after a sporadic start has settled into laying about 4 a week. This has suprised me a little as all the books say that the birds need more than the present amount of daylight to lay.

Do any members keep these bantams and can you tell me if they are productive layers? Also, will she lay more frequently in the Summer or will she tend to lay at the same rate all throughout the year? (apart from, moulting, broody spells etc).:confused:

I have been planning to add to my tiny garden flock as I wanted to ensure an adequate supply of eggs but this may not be neccesary. Buffy's eggs are a good size for a bantam and if my other hens are equally productive then I should have enough.

My two other bantams are younger and are not laying yet but the sussex (Snowy -the ice maiden ) Has recently grown alot of face furniture and gone very red so she may start sometime in the New Year. However, the Wyandotte ( Dotty - dont wynabe a chicken ) is around 6 months and still spends much of her time stairing in to space or wandering around looking as if she has forgotten something. As a result I am not expecting much from her any time soon.

Can any one give me any ideas as to how many eggs a week I could expect from Sussex and Wyandotte bantams please?

Merry Christmas to all my fellow forumers and their feathered friends,

from the girls in snow gripped Yorkshire:D

Comments

• chicken chickchicken chick Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Hi,

I have had Plymouth Rock Bantams inthe past. I have never rated them for egg laying.
    I was lucky to get 2 a week in the summer! In darker colder months I never used to get one. They would go for months on end without laying!

It sounds like you have a good one there! :)

I had 4 at one point and they were all the same roughly with egg laying although one seemed slightly ahead of the others.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions:(

Regards
    Chicken chick
  • scoobyscooby Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Chicken chick,

Im not sure if my girl is typical of the breed or unusualy productive. Shame that yours wernt very productive. I suppose they can vary:)

thanks for your reply

Scooby