We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Dose for Tylan (Tylosin)

smoothmulesmoothmule Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Producers and Vets
I have a bottle or Tylan, 100 grams. The problem is that I could figure the dosage myself (I'm an RN) but there is no weight on the bottle.
To make this simpler, I have just a few birds. I have a dozen or so egg layers, some Malaysian Serama's, Guineas and a pair of Black Spanish Turkeys.
I'd like to have on had a dosing chart for how much Tylan to give for my smaller flock or in some cases, for an individual bird. I have this on hand or I'd buy the injectable. Can anyone help me figure dosing for how much to put in water for say 1 gallon in the form of teaspoon or tablespoon, etc. A 5 pound chicken would be 2.27 kg.

Thanks

Comments

• threehorsesthreehorses Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    The dosage, according to the Merck Veterinary manual, for tylosin is 35mg/kg. A kg = 2 pounds. So that's 35 mgs of tylosin for every 2 pounds of bird body weight.

Other references say 10 to 40 mg/kg. If you're talking respiratory treatment of an acute respiratory infection, 35 is a good dosage. (10 is weak - more a preventative, which is never really recommended in practicum.)

Tylan100 is 100 mg of tylosin per mL; in other words 100mg for every 1 cc. As 1 cc contains 100 mg, 1 cc contains about 6 pounds weight dosage for a bird. (35 goes into 100 just over 3 times.)

So it's 1cc of Tylosin per 6 pound bird.

This medicine should always be given via injection, no matter what friendly advice you're given, because it passes through the digestive system too quickly to be effective orally. (That's what they make the soluble Tylan for - to be used as a sole source of drinking water so that instead of one dose, you get dosages all day long).

Move the site of injection (always in the muscle, never just under the skin, and never ever in any blood source) daily as tylan will burn the muscle there. If you're doing meat birds, it'll leave a mark on your bird. If you're doing more than one bird, give them all a shot in the same place so you know that none of them can have a shot in that same place the following day.

My reference shows the dosage as BID, twice daily.http://www.avianmedicine.net/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf
  • threehorsesthreehorses Junior Member
    edited January 2010
    Incidentally, using Tylan as a flush is also a great idea - diluted of course. 1 part tylan to 8 parts of sterile water. Flush the nasal passages (which will also help with eye drainage).

Every time you give antibiotics, particularly with birds, probiotics are recommended. In the case of the medicines which aren't 'cyclines or 'mycins, you can use yogurt (1 teaspoon per adult bird daily and for 2 weeks thereafter). For the 'cyclines and the 'mycins you can't use a high dairy product, but you can use one with a low lactose carrier like Probios powder, or even human acidophilis capsules. Look for LIVING "culture forming units" bacteria (which will be designated as CFU's on the label).

This will help prevent secondary fungal infections and diarrhea (which can dehydrate the bird).

Also never ever give less than the full dosage, and never less than the full number of days required for the antibiotic. ALWAYS make sure that you're really treating a bacterial infection - not viral, not fungal, not environmental issues, etc.
  • ChrisKChrisK Senior Member
    edited January 2010
    I use both Tylan soluable and Tylan 200 injectable. I contacted the manufacturers who told me that the dose for large fowl chooks is 0.04mg (2 doses 48 hours apart) and 0.03mg for bantams (again 2 doses 48 hours apart). I, after speaking to my vet, give slightly more for the first dose, I have very fine needles and give into the breast muscle.
  • bhagyam987bhagyam987 Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    I live in the USA...I am trying to feed my chicken less medicated feeds and medicines...

What I do on a regular basis is get milk from a dairy farmer (from cows with mastitis) and let it curdle. Then I leave the yogurt for the birds to consume...

I am not a big grower but I have never had any issues with health.
  • CathrynCathryn Junior Member
    edited June 2010
    smoothmule wrote:
    I have a bottle or Tylan, 100 grams. The problem is that I could figure the dosage myself (I'm an RN) but there is no weight on the bottle.
    To make this simpler, I have just a few birds. I have a dozen or so egg layers, some Malaysian Serama's, Guineas and a pair of Black Spanish Turkeys.
    I'd like to have on had a dosing chart for how much Tylan to give for my smaller flock or in some cases, for an individual bird. I have this on hand or I'd buy the injectable. Can anyone help me figure dosing for how much to put in water for say 1 gallon in the form of teaspoon or tablespoon, etc. A 5 pound chicken would be 2.27 kg.

Thanks
    I was taught by my vet that tylan is given at 2000mg per gallon. It is the same mg whether you use the soluble powder- (put the powder into a container then add the water or it lumps up), or the injectable--200mg per gallon of water. Tylan can last up to 3 days if you keep a bag over the waterer so it is not in bright light. Cathryn