We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Help!

rrlongoriarrlongoria Junior Member
edited November 2009 in Producers and Vets
I am a veterinarian, but poultry medicine has been long forgotten. I have a client who has gotten in to the egg business. He purchased about 75 laying hens and 20 pullets of various breeds and from various sellers. It appears that they are developing upper respiratory tract infections. THe pullets are more severely affected but recover sooner than the adults, the URTI seems to linger with them. Symptoms are lethargy, conjuctivitis, with severe purulent ocular discharge in some cases, sneezing, a mild cough. I have also seen a few with foamy and/or liquid feces. As stated before, the hens appear to be affected longer. Have tried tetracycline and amprolium in the drinking water and the eggs are being discarded... I need some direction on what this is and how to treat. It is hard for me to get a fresh bird for necropsy, but that is my next step.

Comments

• skoobyskooby Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Could be infectious laryngotracheitis, I vaccinate for it at 8 wks, try a search on the web as i'm sur there will be tons of info on it.:)
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi rrlongoria.
    Sounds like what my birds have been infected with & sadly we have had to do a complete cull....Fowl Cholera.
    I did suspect at first Infectious Coryza as had all symptoms, the most predominant being the awful smell from the nasal/beak area, but the results came back as above.
    I introduced new pol's to my flock & the problem begain.....prior to this never had a health issue ever with my birds.
    Hope the above info can help. Kind Regards.
  • chicken1313chicken1313 Junior Member
    edited October 2009
    have you tried tylen more expenssive but the only thing to work on upper respitory infictions if thats what you have
  • lindslinds Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    I'll give those a try!
  • edited November 2009
    I just got over a bout of CRD in my flock. It took about 1/4 of my birds. I tried everything. Tylan did a good job, but if I ever have these symptoms again, I will go straight to my vet & get Sulmet.