vent prolapse

hi
 Buffy (pekin) started prolapsing on Sunday , managed to clean it and put it back , luckily i had veterizine and anusol in and had some metacam and tylan left over from her resp infection . Checking on here its almost 3 years to the day that she did this before and is doing exactly the same now as then - fine when laying but prolapsing on her in between days when she does a poo....shes straining to poo and therefore pushing it out . ive got some liquid paraffin on order to see if it will make things easier for her
she had no problems in the past 2 years
thoughts anyone?
x Kath

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    It's odd that she is fine when laying isn't it?

I would be trying the liquid paraffin too in case of a bit of a blockage, but also try to tempt her with wet food, such as wet mash (or use pellets with plenty of water).

One other trick I'm sure you probably know - spray her vent with cold water now and then to help her tighten those muscles!
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks Helen
    she seems to be ok again now but hasnt laid since apart from a tiny lash
    i remembered your advice of spraying cold water from the last time but the vetricyn seems to work and gets her twitching !
     how are things with you? any sign of your new exbatts?
    ive been talking to Sandie by e-mail but she cant seem to be able to get on the site any more
    x Kath

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    At last i have managed to get onto the site....a combination of the site, my computer and the internet around here!

Kath....how is the prolapse (Buffy that is!) and any new batts. Helen?

I still have a lot of chooks in spite of one hen being killed by a falling iron fence and another who had EYP.

Sandie
    How awful for you to lose a hen that way Sandie.  I hope she didn't know too much about it, poor girl.

Picked up three exbatts yesterday, so they are still getting over their fears, but as soon as they were put outside this morning, one keeled straight over in a sunbeam as they do, one started eating grass, and the other had a rummage in the dirt.  I love it when the instincts kick in.  
    :-*
    hooray, Sandies back
    Buffy is fully recovered now and hasnt laid in days . trouble is she insists on sleeping in the hospital pen every night .....lady muck !

congrats on the newbies Helen . any names yet? Lucky would be appropriate living their days out with you
     keep in touch girls
     Kath xx
    Kath - I did have a 'Lucky' once - she was a death row rescue who had been taken to the vet to be euthanased just because she was the last of her flock.  She was a lovely little ex bat.
    The problem is when they do eventually get ill the name just seems wrong!

These three have been a very fast integration.  Not by Marie's standards, but integrated in one week, and very strong!

Oh, and names are Pixie, Imp and Gremlin.

I've just realised that spells PIG - which is very apt for new rescues! 
    :@)
    hi Helen ..yes Maries a dab hand at integrating , i dont know how she does it !i take ages and still get problems.
     What did Gremlin do to earn that name ...you been feeding her after midnight!
    Buffy is fully back to normal now and after a lash and a soft shell the other day is back in lay fully. i reckon the resp infection she had gave her a little oviduct infection but the tylan worked its magic . trouble is that at 8.30 every day shes in the conservatory waiting to go into the hospital pen .sleeping in with the other 5 is beneath her now
    hope the weathers not causing problems . my garden has lots of overgrown shrubs so plenty of shelter
     catch you again soon
    x Kath
    Funny but our 'conservatory' is really a chicken room too!

Gremlin does love her food, as do all fresh rescues, but I named Pixie first, then thought I'd stick to that sort of theme!  I did have a budgie called Gremlin and he was a lovely fella (green of course).

Meanwhile I've just lost Mary; rescued two years and a month ago.  It was expected sooner or later....she had cancer.  So back down to 6 for now.
    Gosh, glad to hear that you girls keep chicken numbers to <10. 

I don't have a conservatory....or should I be calling that a 'subsidiary chicken coop'?

Two very determined broodies of mine have had a couple of eggs each as they didn't respond to cold tiles, shifting every 5 minutes and just about anything else that I can think of. They are great as broody hens, though....they just 'growl' and puff up when I go near, but let me raise them to candle the eggs etc. Last night (day 21), I heard the distinct sound of a 'cheep' when I slid my hand under one of them, so my 'bird count' may have gone up again.

My daughter keeps a couple of conures (stroppy little parrots). The hen bird has just laid for the first time, and does seem to be trying to incubate. Unfortunately, they are due to hatch just as she goes on holiday. I live 4 plus hours away, but may end up being the 'parrot guardian'

Happy Days!
    sorry to hear about Mary Helen
    i dont have a conservatory really - its a lean to but sounds more posh to call it a conservatory - there are windows all along both walls and it used to have a see through roof
    so how many chooksa do you have now Sandy and have you run out o9f names yet?.Hope your daughter realises that with you in charge theres a strong possibility they will hatch into cock birds - will they agree all together?
    x Kath
    Hi Sandy,

Conures are noisy beggars too!  Good luck with the parrot sitting!  Hope you don't still have your tinnitus.

With all your chickens how do you keep on top of mite checks, worming etc?  
    Hi, Helen. Hi Kath,

Tinnitus is for life, not just for Xmas, Helen......it's permanent for me.

4 eggs in the conure nest.....mama is a first-timer, so she may mess it up! They incubate from the first egg that is laid, so chicks can be weeks apart in hatching. CRAZY. The male conure is a little despot......if his offspring follow after him, then I can't think of a better reason for selling them as early as possible. The hen bird is sweet and only 18 months old.

How many hens, Kath? When I get to about the dozen, I refuse to count them. (but about 15).

I plaster diatomaceous earth in the hen coop and just worm the hens regularly. like dog and cat....simples. However, the sheep wormers are very complicated, and what to give and when  depends upon ambient temp., rainfall, what is doing the rounds etc.etc. They also have to be vaccinated and drenched monthly with SeCoB12.We have to record everything as well to ensure that we are compliant with the wash-out period for animals going to market.

I currently have a baby hedgehog (abandoned).....'The Glutton' (OH's term for him) has increased his weight from 100g to almost 180g in 2 weeks and threatens to become morbidly obese (so much for the dire warnings I received about the difficulties in rearing a hoglet of probably just about 3 weeks of age......but absence of any local hedgehog rescue meant I had to give it my best stab). He's moving into a redundant hen coop in the sheep shed this afternoon as he no longer needs to be on heat/special diet/hedgehog milk replacer. I have this vague notion of eventually releasing him back into the wild.....but wonder if it will ever happen.

Oh well.....better get on with tending to the menagerie.

Sandie

Hopefully the call of the wild will take your hoglet away!

We have a caique who lays a clutch or two every year, and they are always days apart too!  However - she has no mate therefore infertile eggs!

I take it they don't do a sheep wormer disguised a a digestive yet then?

:D