We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

help needed, unknown illness!!!

poultryloverpoultrylover Junior Member
edited September 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
My chicken came down with an illness a few months ago. She coughs, sneezes and sometimes gets bubbly liquid at the corner of her eyes. She sometimes discharges from her nose and eyes and the discharge from the nose is sticky. I have taken her to the vets twice but she is no better. She has also infected another one of my chickens with the disease.
Does anyone know what illness it is and who to clear it up?
I have been told to kill her but I don't want to if she can be healed.
thanks

Comments

• *miss tweedy**miss tweedy* Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    hello i dont know exactally what the ilness is but one of our chickens had it and it unfortunatly it did die, and it would be very expencive if you were to treat it. it would prob be cheeper to buy a new chicken and put that one out of its misrey:(
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    Not so many people look at this forum as they do in the "Poultry Helath and Welfare" forum. Suggest you use that in future.

I am surprised that the vet did not prescribe a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Tylan or Baytril as you clearly had/have a respiratory disease. This should be entirely curable.
  • flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    My chicken came down with an illness a few months ago. She coughs, sneezes and sometimes gets bubbly liquid at the corner of her eyes. She sometimes discharges from her nose and eyes and the discharge from the nose is sticky. I have taken her to the vets twice but she is no better. She has also infected another one of my chickens with the disease.
    Does anyone know what illness it is and who to clear it up?
    I have been told to kill her but I don't want to if she can be healed.
    thanks
    when you have a sick bird you should always separate it as it may infect the others which is what you dont want to happen. However if that is not possible then a box inside the laundry with a light for warmth is also a possibility.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited July 2009
    flintstone wrote:
    when you have a sick bird you should always separate it as it may infect the others which is what you dont want to happen. However if that is not possible then a box inside the laundry with a light for warmth is also a possibility.

Yes good point Flintstone, I forgot to mention this.
  • poultryloverpoultrylover Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    I seperated the 3 ill chickens.
    The vet subscribed Taylan which worked with one.
    He then gave them an injection which didn't work.
    He has now given me Baytril which has completly healed one chicken and the other one.
    Thanks for your help everyone :)
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Hi. I'm a new member, but was reading your thread, which sounds very simlar to what my birds had. Unfortunately I introduced new hens to my flock (Isolated as norm) although 2 were poorly from the word go, so isolated them from all permenatly the rest appeared well & no signs of any problems, however within a few days of all freeranging together (After isolation), the majority started to show signs of what the 2 poorly ones had. Involved my vet who sent a bird away for us. The results came back as Fowl Cholera. My existing flock were all healthy happy birds & had never had a single problem...Until the intro of the new birds. Sadly on vets advice have had no choice but to cull all of my birds as even if they get better will still be carriers & carry on infecting. Fowl cholera can be picked up in many ways - Transfer/Introduction of ill or carrier birds, rodents,cats,wild bird droppings, infected boots/clothing etc. Sorry to sound so neg, just wouldnt like to think your birds could have the same & I hadnt said or offered any imput to your thread given the sadness & trauma over the last couple of months that we have had.
    Kindest Regards -x