converting website visitors Chickens not going to bed at night - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Chickens not going to bed at night

Towey Junior Member
Advice needed please!!!
I've had my 2 chickens for 2 months and they normally go back to the house at dusk, however for the last week they won't go to bed and are choosing to sleep anywhere but their hen house (wheelie bins, patio furniture etc) even when it's raining. We keep putting them back in the house at night but then the next night they do the same again. I've also scrubbed and treated the house for mites. Any advice as to why they are doing this and what I can do to stop it.
Thanks
xx

Comments

• Salz Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Hi Towey,
    Is it since you scrubbed the house that they won't go to bed, if so maybe its because it smells strange. Perhaps try and feed them their favourite treat at bed time just inside their house until they go in automatically...just a thought...hope it helps.
    All the best Salz:)
  • Neilscot Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Usually its because of mites they may be reluctant to go into their house,
    are you sure there are no mites in their house?
    Failing that maybe it is if there is a smell.
  • Towey Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    No, I treated the house after the first few nights they did it incase that was causing them to stay out but there still doing it.
  • Neilscot Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    if you do have mites you would need to treat it more than once, as treating it would kill the mites but then the eggs would hatch, thats if there was/is mites.
    dont know of any other reason they would not want to go into their house.
    maybe they need shut in for a day to re-familiarise them where home is.
    Do they go into their house to lay eggs?

Oh what did you treat the house with?
  • flintstone Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    If they free range for too long day after day, some of them dont go back to their hen house. It wouls suggest you collect them all up at night and take them back to their house and leave the shut for a week. They can have their pen but not the house yard. This usually fixes the problem for a while.
  • Towey Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    They do lay their eggs in the house aswell but there laying hasn't been affected. They just refuse to sleep there. I treated it with Duramitex plus spray as this was reccomended to me. Think i'll treat the house again and then lock them in for a few days as they free range all day everyday so maybe they need to refamiliarise themselves. Thanks for all your help.
    xx
  • Chicken Whisperer Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    Are they roosting higher than their original roost? Sometimes if my chickens roost is too low, they will look for elsewhere to roost. Also, the type of roosting material used my be hurting their feet. What are you using for a roost?
  • randyNC Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    This I know something about. Last year out of the clear blue my Rhoade Island Reds starting to sleep under my back porch. I too would pick them up one by one and take them in and put them on the roost. Same thing next night. Chickens generally like their home and go in by themselves.

Late one evening my dog and I had things to do at the coop. Dog starts barking at something in the coop. Copperhead curled up no doubt waiting for a mouse. Killed it. Next night was a rerun. Killed that one and the hens have never slept outside again. Keeping the mice down would be an important thing as they do draw things like this to happen. I would go down in the late evening and check around. I have lights so it makes it easy to see around but with a good flashlight you would see it curled up. Please let us know what becomes of this.
  • TraceyB Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Maybe you had mites in the coop (they bite at night) and now the chickens have just got into the habit of sleeping outside. The predator suggestion is worth looking into, apparently a rat will nibble at chickens' legs whilst they roost, can't be too pleasant!
  • randyNC Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    Like TraceyB said, "Chickens are creatures of habit." thus whether you chickens had bugs or not it would go into its home. Something is scaring your chickens to keep them out.
  • liz Junior Member
    edited July 2009
    my girls have refused to go in for the last 2 nights, I've physically put them to bed. I think it is because it is just too hot, if they settle once the weather cools I'll let you know
    Towey said:
    Advice needed please!!!
    I've had my 2 chickens for 2 months and they normally go back to the house at dusk, however for the last week they won't go to bed and are choosing to sleep anywhere but their hen house (wheelie bins, patio furniture etc) even when it's raining. We keep putting them back in the house at night but then the next night they do the same again. I've also scrubbed and treated the house for mites. Any advice as to why they are doing this and what I can do to stop it.
    Thanks
    xx
  • Check well for preditors! We had the same problem, they would even stay out during an ice storm. We are fairly new to this too, and they had always bedded down on their own but we never locked them in because all my husbands farm friends said that was silly. It turned out to be a costly mistake. We lost five 8 week old chicks out of nowhere in one night. We had to physically put the older girls in their coop to lock them up for a few weeks until we could add a better top to the runs, the friends told us it was probably a cat (after much research, I was leaning towards coon or possum due to the condition of the birds that weren’t fully eaten). The days were getting shorter, so we weren’t surprised when there weren’t always eggs to collect. Then we lost one of our older girls