We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken waterer

chickmanchickman Junior Member
edited August 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hi i have a chicken waterer that is continualy dirty. at the moment it is sitting about 1 inch off the ground on a wooden block. any suggestions as to how to fix this? the bedding is sawdust

Comments

• from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Dirty with what? Sawdust?

Can you hang the waterer higher. For my size chickens I keep it between 6 to 9 inches off the ground, so that they do not bend down toit.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    Reported to webmaster
  • flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    chickman wrote:
    Hi i have a chicken waterer that is continualy dirty. at the moment it is sitting about 1 inch off the ground on a wooden block. any suggestions as to how to fix this? the bedding is sawdust
    What about something like the commercial drinkers that the bigger flocks use. I guess they are available. you might try looking on the internet.
  • winifredwinifred Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    I had the same problem as they were continuously scratching dirt into it.My solution was to build a column three bricks across with three bricks high.It works and like other member said its at eye level so seems to suit them.
  • waldeneffectwaldeneffect Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    I had a similar problem, with the addition that my waterers sometimes spilled since we drag our chicken tractors across uneven ground. I swore and griped and complained until my husband developed a chicken waterer --- http://www.avianaquamiser.com --- that stays completely clean and never spills. (I know I'm an extremely lucky girl to have him...and the chicken waterers. :-)

We really want to spread the word, so we sell DIY kits with instructions which let you water your chickens for as little as $1 per bird. I hope this helps!