We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What breed?

chickmanchickman Junior Member
edited November 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
What breed are my chickens? we just got them. we were told "Brown laying hens" but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to the breed? hybrid? I am having problems uploading pictures but they are brown with whitish tail ends

Comments

• RainaRaina Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Hi, do they look a little like this?

1stegg001.jpg
    1stegg002.jpg
    1stegg003.jpg

If they do they are most likely Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex (That's what the breeder of mine told me they are)
  • chickmanchickman Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    yes those are what they look like but they are not a mix of heritage breeds i'm thinking
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    The "brown chicken" hybrid was originally out of the RIR - that is how hybrids are developed.

These are ISA's, Warrens, Gingernut Rangers or something like that.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited August 2009

Reported to web maestro
  • flintstoneflintstone Senior Member
    edited August 2009
    Raina wrote:
    Hi, do they look a little like this?

1stegg001.jpg
    1stegg002.jpg
    1stegg003.jpg

If they do they are most likely Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex (That's what the breeder of mine told me they are)
    The look like Isa Browns, nothing like a Rhode Island Red.......I have had both and I believe they are the Isa Browns and nothing more.
  • cdsgdfcdsgdf Junior Member
    edited November 2009
    chickman wrote:
    What breed are my chickens? we just got them. we were told "Brown laying hens" but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to the breed? hybrid? I am having problems uploading pictures but they are brown with whitish tail ends
    Well,There are hundreds of chicken breeds in existence. Domesticated for thousands of years, distinguishable breeds of chicken have been present since the combined factors of geographical isolation and selection for desired characteristics created regional types with distinct physical and behavioral traits passed on to their offspring.I like the roasted chicken with the red sauce.I want to know suggestion from others.