We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

By Laws About Keeping Chickens

korpetkorpet Junior Member
edited September 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
It states on our deeds we can't have poultry or livestock only domesticated animals. This got me thinking, "What criteria does an animal have to meet to be considered domestic?".

It's possible to keep Parrots and Budgies indoors but the only difference I can see between them and Chickens is the size yet you get big parrots and bantam chickens!

Is there a way for me to still keep chickens? A way around the rules? It seems stupid as my house boarders on to two farms one of which keeps chickens and ducks.

Comments

• blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited April 2009
    just keep a few bantam hens as they make a whole lot less noise than the cockerals.!
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    korpet wrote:
    It states on our deeds we can't have poultry or livestock only domesticated animals. This got me thinking, "What criteria does an animal have to meet to be considered domestic?".

Wikipedia says.... "To be considered domesticated, a population of animals must have their behavior, life cycle, or physiology systemically altered as a result of being under human control for many generations".

It then goes on to provide a list of animals considered to be "domesticated".

did you decide to keep a few chickens?
  • Clucking MadClucking Mad Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Hi mine says the same thing and ive had no problems to date, suppose it depends on how well you get on with your neighbours as i doubt local authorities would actively police this sort of thing.
  • Koy DSKoy DS Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    I never officially inquired but we are possibly just short of being considered properly zoned for livestock. I asked my friends at the local animal control office and they said that as long as no one complains, they do not police these things.

I have one neighbor I was concerned might be upset with the idea of me keeping chickens. I made a friendly deal with him that if he would accept chickens as neighbors, I would give him free eggs. He happily agreed and now comes over to the fence to visit and check up on the chickens. Turns out he doesn't really eat eggs much but really likes to just sit and watch the chickens do silly things. He and his wife have become good friends to us and our little farm. Last week they started talking about gettin some chickens of their own! :-)
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    A perfect result - well done.
  • kizzcee007kizzcee007 Junior Member
    edited September 2009
    I'm having to rehome my 4 Golden Sebrights (2 hens/2 cockerels) because of one neighbour who is known to the council as a perpetual complainer. I must admit that I didnt ask the council for permission to keep them in my garden as I know of others who have chickens without any probs.