blue laced wyandottes

danialexis Junior Member
hi, new here, my husband is desperate for some hens of the above breed, we are in northumberland and I can't find any breeders up north? or is hatching eggs my only option and keeping my fingers crossed i get blue laced hens not gold or buff, and not many cocks? many thanks dani:D

Comments

• Doc J Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    We are complete novices at this but have successfully managed to hatch 5 out of 6 eggs of this breed on our first attempt (beginners luck). They hatched on 1st May and it looks like we have 3 blue laced and 2 buff. We live in Sunderland. We are not sure how many girls/boys we have but they are growing incredibly quickly.
  • danialexis Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    well done, we live near Hexham in Northumberland so you're the nearest so far! we've bought a trio of silver laced wyandottes since my post but still want a couple of blue laced hens to join the group, i just don't know how to deal with the surplus cocks, i'm just a bit chicken about it and my hubbys no better! so havent gone down the hatching route yet. good luck with it all dani
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    The surplus cocks are an easily solution...called chicken soup. This is great way to lose all the extra boys
  • danialexis Junior Member
    edited June 2009
    yer but what is your prefered method of dispatch? never done it and dont want to cause any distress for them or me!
  • blonde Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    just chop off their heads, hang for a short spell to release all the blood, put them in very hot water, allow a few minutes take them out. pull out their feathers, gut them and clean them. Take them inside, bag them and put them in the freezer for your next pot of soup.