We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Silkie mix breeding?

algeesChickensalgeesChickens Junior Member
Hi im new here and I was wondering if its possible to mix Silkies with other breeds of chickens?

Comments

• kernowclickkernowclick Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    Yes as long as you exercise some common sense. Always supervise integration and don't allow any bullying and make sure there is space for the new ones to retreat to. It's not always the biggest who are the toughest either and it is sometimes just a breed or character trait to be boss or to be more laid back. My silkies are feisty girls and the bigger hens are very respectful!
    They are bound to feel the need to establish some sort of pecking order but they should quickly sort themselves out. I find that if the mixing of the clans takes place at dusk they are less likely to seriously squabble. Just be vigilant.
  • algeesChickensalgeesChickens Junior Member
    edited February 2009
    srry i forgot about the words it just came up my mind i meant can u crossbreed a silkie with another breed?
  • jenjanejenjane Junior Member
    edited March 2009
    Most breeders mix silkies with light sussex as they make great broody hens. We have just brough silkie x sussex (big hens) and they are great even though expensive they are well worth it. I would recommend this cross breed.
  • edited April 2009
    You can cross breed almost any chickens! Next year, when my new chicks are old enough, I am crossing my Frizzle roo with a Crevecoeur, a Sultan, & a Houdan, just to see what I get!
  • LadyfreshaLadyfresha Member
    edited June 2009
    This might be a silly question but do you do big cockerel to small hen or small cockerel to large hen? I am a complete numpty beginner!!

Thanks
  • mandiemandie Senior Member
    edited June 2009
    i would use the large fowl variety of the silkie then you can cross them to a sussex and it doesnt matter which way round you do the cross,not a good idea to put a mini silkie to any LF breed as the large cockrel would damage the small hen.
  • edited June 2009
    I am going with small roo to larger hen. Do not want to stress out my tiny little bantams with a big roo harrassing them!
  • edited July 2009
    Just my opinion, but I would go with the bigger hen to the smaller roo. Would be easier on the hen (& her feathers!) & the roo really does not care!
  • Cathy-huCathy-hu Junior Member
    edited September 2010
    here is a photo of our accidentally cross bred hen. She is beautiful, very intelligent, a great mom, and now around 5 or 6 years old. :)

with her chics:

a month later (now):
  • sandiesbrahmassandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited September 2010
    They're lovely chickens. Who cares that they don't have a pedigree, they look lovely and the hens will lay eggs.

As a keeper of both 'pedigrees' and 'mongrels', I appreciate the finer points of both,

sandie
  • pottymoopottymoo Senior Member
    edited May 2012
    I have recently crossed a silkie hen with a serama male and got 3 beautiful chicks
    4 weeks old tomorrow moo x