converting website visitors One Chicken alone! - The Poultry Site Forum - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

One Chicken alone!

Freeda1 Junior Member
edited February 2009 in Poultry Health and Welfare
can anyone tell me how a chicken will cope/fare on its own? as i said in my last post my other girl is sadly dying (still hanging on!) and i'm worried about the remaining one being lonely.

• manituo man Member
    edited February 2009
    there ''flock'' creatures so they need others.
  • mandie Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    def shouldnt keep one chook on its own as said they are flock animals and need the company of other chooks.
  • Freeda1 Junior Member
    edited February 2009
    ok thanks-i'll get her some chums. sorry to be a pain, but no one has repleid to first question and my other hen is still hanging on and is lying with her eyes closed and seems to me clearly on her way out, but she's been like this since 9am this morning, should i leave her to die in peace, get her to a vet (she's already been to the vet she's been sick for a week) to either put her down or give her anti biotics, although this may be cruel. please some advice!
  • silkyt Member
    edited February 2009

all the advice I can say is that I had this happen to one of my hens and I gave her antibiotics for a few days she seemed to perk up slighltly but then just went all of a sudden. In hindsight I wish I had done the kinder thing and just had her put down.
    Maybe you should do the same.
  • manituo man Member
    edited February 2009
    i would say look closely at your hen and see if you think she is really suffering or comfortable, then make that decision. if you don't think you can dispatch her then take her to a vet let him have a look and if he says the kindest thing is to put her down then get him to do it there and then. just don't let her suffer. tough choice, but that's part of keeping any animal.
  • azubah Junior Member
    edited February 2009
    I started off with 2x2year old hens and one died after 6 months. The other seemed a lot happier without her companion as she had been bullied cruelly by her. After a few weeks I thought that I ought to get her some companions so I got two pols. She hated them and it took months to get her to accept them. They are happy together now.
  • Lin Gough Senior Member
    edited February 2009
    I had the same problem. I new that one of my two remaing chickens was nearing the end and i was woried about Bertha being on her own so just before Milly died, i bought four 12-14 week old Marans to go with her. There was a fantastic change in her even then. She loved having more chukcs to boss around and they get on great. I didn`t want to leave it until she was on her own incase the new ones attacked her because she would have been the target as she was on her own. Milly was a fistey little madam and she helped Bertha sort them out.
    I hope this helps.
  • Same situation....down to our last two.  One got egg yolk peritonitis.  Didnt notice at first. Sleepy eyes no appetite and swollen belly.  Took into Vet and got antibiotics and a syringe force feeder.  She suffered for 2 days and then died.  In my opinion chicken are born with short lives.  When they get sick MOST (not all) die soon.  Dont prolong with anti-biotics and Vets.  Watch closely and put them down as painful as it is, they will appreciate it in Chicky heaven!

Our last one is alone (4 yrs old) and we will keep it company for a few weeks and then give her to someone with a flock.  Even in big cities it is EASY to find someone to take on one bird.    We loved them, great pets, just too bad such short lives.
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Sorry Tomauch but I don’t agree with your comment about not prolonging life with anti-b’s and vets. Yes vets can be expensive BUT they can also be a wealth of information and help. One of our girls, an ex-batt, got EYP in June 2017. With vets help she is now healthy and happy and still with us. You have to do what you think is right for your girls.

Our Sponsors

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management