converting website visitors Garden lime in the run? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Garden lime in the run?

TraceyB Senior Member
edited October 2008 in Poultry Health and Welfare
From what I've read, it seems to be a good move to dig lime into the soil in the run. Apparently it helps kill off some of the nasties that can lurk in a chicken run waiting to infect my chickens!
I know there are different types of lime, is ordinary garden lime OK to use?
If I can use garden lime, is there a period of time when the chickens should be kept out of the run?
Thanks, Tracey

Comments

• Sandy Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Yes garden lime is fine... but a bit expensive...cheaper to buy a big bag of Hydrated lime from your hardware store

don't dig it in.. just sprinkle it on top of the soil.. then lightly rake it over.. just make sure not lumps are on the ground for the birds to peck at

DO NOT GET SLATE LIME.. It will burn the birds feet when it gets wet from droppings or rain

The lime will remove just about all odors from the yard... some bugs it dries out and there fore kills.. but not many

It will help to keep the droppings dryer also.
  • ChrisK Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    If you can get it there is also a product called Biosuper that is brilliant and totally safe to use around the chooks. It's a fine powder that disinfects the ground and kills off any nasties lurking there. I also put some down in the bottom of the nest boxes and the floors of the coops before putting shavings on top. I have just bought my second bag in 3 years, it's about £27 for a 25kl bag but it lasts for ages - i use mine for lambing too, a little really does go a long way - and no, I don't have shares in it, wish I did for all recomending i do :D .
  • TraceyB Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Hi Chrisk,
    Where would I get biosuper from please - it seems like it will be better than lime.
    Sure you don't have shares in the company?!! :D
    Tracey
  • Sandy Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    ChrisK... I saw you advertising it in The Poultry Garden forum & The Poultry Keeper Site also... you do get around :D

This is an article on Biosuper - UK
    http://www.harbro.co.uk/library/index.php3?cmdDocType=p&cmdCid=340&cmdDid=633

This is another one
    http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsDetail1.asp?STOCK_CODE=6500

I think this Biosuper is a combination of superphosphate and sulphur..
  • ChrisK Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    I'm sure I don't have shares - honest :D . It was recomended to me by a shepherd friend and I've used it ever since, I like the fact that it is totally safe to used whilst the chooks are around and that it makes everywhere smell nice as well as disinfects everywhere it's used, you can use it in dog kennels too. I get mine from our local feed merchant - quite a few farmers use it here in S W Wales so it's always available.

Yes Sandy i do get around :p - all those place to talk chooks - heaven !:D I also belong to a few dog forums too - having 7 dogs and being a agility competitor, trainer and judge - so I do quite a bit of cyber talking!!!!!!! - OH says I never stop verbally either :D
  • TraceyB Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    I just called my local feed merchant and he's never heard of it! He said if I can tell him who produces it he will try to get some in.
    I looked at ordering it online but the postage is half as much again-makes it pretty expensive!!
    Tracey
  • Sandy Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Go to your local farm supply for agriculture... they may have it

If not see if you can get Hydrated lime ..
  • I almost forgot how useful lime is, thanks for reminding about this! I would purchase a few trees too, but since I moved to the UK I can now pick plants even more accurately according to the continental cool climate. I usually order fruit trees online, mostly plums and apples.