converting website visitors Hen died after Tylan 200 - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Hen died after Tylan 200

chirpychick Junior Member
edited October 2008 in Poultry Health and Welfare
HI all,
new today!
But with Sad news
I have 10 rescued ex Batts, i've had them since march and they have really enriched mine and my families life.

In about june they started with sniffles , running nose and at one point at it's worse one was making rattling noices

was this CRD?

I called the recuers and asked advise about how to treat this as i had been messing around with Baytril from our small animal vets at £50 a go. LOL!
The rescuers advised try Tylan 200 - i spoke to my horse vet who said after seeing my poorliest chooks that he would let me have some Tylan 200

Wonder cure and all was well - we dosed them for either 3 or 5 days depending on the severity of their illness,. 0.5mm intra muscular.

Lara and Molly started taking on the same syptoms about a month ago, nothing major in the day but when on the roost a bit of sniffling. The horse vet was coming to the yard anyway so i ran this by him and he said he would let me have some more Tylan200 if i wanted.

I gave the first dose to 4 of my girls (as two more has started sniffling) on 19th October and saw the birds look depressed almost immediately.
The next morning Lara was struggling to breath and was rattling in her chest, I spent until Hen bedtime looking for other suggested dosages.
One suggested a further dose 48 hrs after the initial one.
When i went to shut them up for the night she came running to see what treats i had and everything seemed ok although she was still a bit chesty which she hadn't been befor a started this ill fated treatment.

21st October dosed again and with in 10 minutes Lara was dead.
Her face went blue and she couldn't breath it was truley awful to see the little thing die because of me.

I feel so bad. All I wanted to do was make her better.

her friends also went very quiet with their dose (while i was dosing her friends Lara was ok- ish ) but once again perked up.

Shall I chuck the dratted stuff away ?

Do you think it is CRD?

will they always have it/be a carrier
I had planned to get more choocks but i'm not sure it's a good idea.

Any suggestions a very sad Chirpychick :(

s

Comments

• crazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Hi Chirpychick,

I'm really sorry to hear about little Lara - it is so hard to lose one, especially when you've been trying so hard with them. :(

There are varying opinions on how much and for how long to dose the tylan 200, but I personally feel that the safest way to figure out how much to dose any medication should be based on the weight of the bird. The avian dose for tylan, according to the Merck Vet manual, is 35 mg/kg, twice to three times per day for 5-10 days (again, depending on severity of disease). The dose/kg is the same for tylan 200 as for tylan 50, only tylan 50 is 1/4 as concentrated as tylan 200. I have used T 200 on my birds many times without any problems, so I know that it is a safe drug and is the best for respiratory illness. Many vets feel that a single dose or two doses, 48 hours apart, is the best course of action. I disagree, as I feel that many of the stubborn diseases (like coryza and CRD) can and do return after that second dose and are then more resistant to further treatment. If I use tylan to dose a mild case of CRD, then I give T200 three times a day at 35 mg/kg for the first 3 days, then twice a day for an additional 2 days- then I reassess. If the bird is acutely ill, I give 35 mg/kg for 5-7 three times a day, then reassess. A bird with coryza usually takes quite a bit longer to recover, as the pus that they develop usually gets inside their sinus cavity, "hiding" a lot of the Haemophilus bacteria and allowing it to flare up again in a week or so. In this case, I dose a bird for 2-3 days at 35 mg/kg three times per day, then an additional 6-7 days with twice per day doses, then reassess. Tylan injectable can also be given orally as well as injected.

I cannot be sure what happened to your poor little Lara, but she may have been A) allergic to the tylan (not likely) and had a reaction that worsened each time you gave her an injection or B) you may have gotten the tylan in an artery (not likely) or vein (possible) when you injected it- this can send them into shock and kill them quite quickly (always draw back on the plunger of a syringe when giving an IM shot, as getting drugs that are meant to be given IM into a vein can be fatal) or C) the most likely problem is that your bird was very sick and already stressed by the disease. Sometimes the very act of picking them up and injecting them is enough to put them over the edge. I have had birds die in my arms while you're trying to save them as the treatment (though well-intended) is sometimes just too much for them.

Don't chuck it out- you may need it again. However, you might want to try giving it orally and double check the dosage.

Birds that have had CRD are usually carriers for months, and often for life. Same with coryza... and unfortunately, most other chicken diseases are like this. It is, fortunately (CRD, that is), one of the least deadly, most common and easiest-to-treat diseases and it's rare to lose one to it. If you get more chooks, just introduce them very slowly after a 2 week quarantine, allowing them time to get used to the new pathogens in your current flock...

Laura
  • Happy Hennie Member
    edited October 2008
    So sorry about Lara - it's very sad when you try to save hens but fail. Lara was one of the fortunate battery hens with 7 months of freedom with people who cared for her.

I don't know where you're based Chirpychick, but for another time you can purchase Baytril much cheaper if you get a presciption from your vet (which I believe is free - you only pay for the consultation) and then purchase online. I've used Viovet and found them to be very efficient - a 100ml bottle of Baytril was £21, including postage.

Best wishes to you and your girls.
    Claire
  • chirpychick Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    Hi Guys
    Thank you so much for your replies, my other girls seems fine, Rita is still withdrawn, but she is a quiet soul anyway apart from when she's beating her "sisters" up. I will keep an eye on her.

Crazychick, thanks very much for all the advise I shall refer to it religiously! and get the kitchen scales out! . I didn't know you could administer T200 oraly but then every day I learn something new form this forum.

Happy Hennie, I have had a bit of time to relect on what has happened and although I regret what has happened and still feel responisible your kind words do make me feel better - who'd have thought our feathered friends could leave such an empty space in their passing?

I will also ask the vet about a baytril pesciption.

Take care all.

Take care all,
  • Ranvier Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    Hi Crazychick,

Just read your reply to the dose to administer of T200. I have some Tylan water soluble (100g). But it is very confusing just exactly how much I need to mix. Can you tell me how much of this is an appropriate dose for my chickens if I needed for example 1 litre of solution. I'm very confused:confused: :confused:

Many thanks

Ranvier
  • crazychick Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    I use 1 level teaspoon per 4 litres of water with the water soluble tylan. Put the powder in the container first, then add the water as it doesn't mix well otherwise.

Hope this helps,

Laura
  • I gave 1.6 cc of Tylan 200 to a 20 lb turkey hen in the skin in back of neck as described in another post. I separated it in half into 2 different places but her neck looks red tonight. Looks like she may have had an injection site reaction. Has anyone else experienced this? What can be done to give her some comfort?