We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Perches

edited September 2009 in "Off Your Chest"
Hello this weekend i am putting perches in the hen house how far apart should they be, have read to use 4 - 2 wood have also read 18" high is ideal...
Many thanks

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Many thanks
    big help
  • chucksawaychucksaway Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    Why can't we block this idiot......who writes rubbish????
  • chucksawaychucksaway Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    rsgoldsell - just get lost!
  • blondeblonde Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    The perches should be about 18 inches apart and can go up 5 or six high or more as long as their is a slope on the main frame. Mine go 6 high but i have seen them go 10 high, but with a slope of the main frame. The birds hop from one to the next to get to their desired spot. Some people say you should use wood, but I have used pipe instead. The fleas and problems dont tend to live on these. Yes they are a little cold in the winter time, but being hollow they warm up with the amount of chooks I run in the house.
  • lorskimaclorskimac Junior Member
    edited May 2009
    Interesting. What kind of pipe? Surely they would just slip off a plastic pipe?
  • mandiemandie Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    pipe is a BIG NO NO.
  • from field to forkfrom field to fork Senior Member
    edited May 2009
    mandie wrote:
    pipe is a BIG NO NO.

Am interested to know why you don't like pipe?
  • mnod30mnod30 Junior Member
    edited August 2009
    Im interested as to why pipe isn't good too as my husband has recently fitted hollow steel pipe, inch and a quarter thick, they took to it straight away, found it slippy first but with the poop they have made their own grip and seem happy...is there something in the metal that isnt good for their feet???