converting website visitors New chicken with diarrhoea - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

New chicken with diarrhoea

Pennyviz Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Hi

new to this and chickens so hi everybody.

Picked up 3 chickens from a breeder in Woking 2 weeks ago. One chicken, a legbar, was in a seperate cage with a rooster because it was being henpecked said the breeder, because i wanted blue eggs and felt sorry for it I agreed to take it. He didn't have any other legbars of egglaying age.

The chicken has had diarrhoea since I got it but seems well enough in herself, eyes bright, eating well, not being picked on at all by the two but does appear to be moulting. I phoned up the breeder and he said it was actually 8/10 mnths old (bit older than I realised) and suggested I worm it.

Any thoughts?

Penny

Comments

• Pennyviz Junior Member
    edited May 2008
    Hi

thanks Carrie.

I wormed them with Flubenvet - 1tspn per Kg layer mash.

However still no improvement. Phoned up the breeder who despite his website saying they offer medical assistance/advice said it was probably stress (4weeks after arrival?) and suggested that I didn't know what chicken pooh should look like. Tad peeved as I was obviously sold a sick bird but no way of proving it. Worried it is spreading to the other two as well.

Pooh is copious, watery with brown grey solid matter mixed in.

Any other suggestions?

Penny
  • crazychick Senior Member
    edited May 2008
    Hi Penny,

Hens that are moulting often have diarrhea and will feel a little lethargic. If the diarrhea becomes a real worry or lasts for weeks OR if it becomes very mucousy or bloody, you may want to get her on some anti-coccidiosis medications (corrid, coxoid, amprol, sulmet, baycox...) available through your vet in the UK. Your little hen may not be sick at all, but is just going through a normal moult.

Laura
  • Pennyviz Junior Member
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Laura and Carrie

That would be a relief if she was just moulting - how long should a moult last for?

I phoned the vet up in the interim, and she has suggested a course of pre and post biotics to start with, and that I weigh them - never thought of that. Mind you easier said than done. Then if they are drastically losing weight will know and also how much medication to administer.
    edited May 2008
    Give them some live-culture yogurt daily (not too much as it can give them more diarrhea- about a tablespoon per hen) and then keep an eye on their weight, as your vet suggested. You can even monitor their weight by feeling their keel and picking them up at night when they're roosting. Usually you'll be able to feel weight loss (even a little bit) if you're used to picking them up and feeling their weight, as well as the amount of muscling around their keel. If either changes drastically, then action needs to be taken. As mentioned, just keep an eye out for blood or mucous in the droppings. A moult can last for a couple weeks to a month, depending on how severe... and the hen will feel pretty miserable until her pin feathers start to split open and she feathers out again.

Hope this eases some concerns...

Laura
  • Pennyviz Junior Member
    edited July 2008
    Hi

This hen is still hanging on in there and still has diarrhoea. She looks better in herself, feathers have all come back, somebody said it could be indicators of kidney malfunction.

Asked the vet about coccidiosis medications but she said the only medications she could prescribe are ones that specify that the eggs are not safe to eat after treatment. I'm in the UK, I thought I read here that that it was only was during treatment that the eggs couldn't be eaten by humans, can anybody help? I'm based in Surrey, UK.

I've got 4 other chooks and I'll treat them together

Thanks

Penny
    edited July 2008
    I know that there are some meds that have a withdrawl time where you cannot eat the eggs FOR A CERTAIN TIME (usually 10 days to 2 weeks) after medicating the birds. However, I can't imagine that there would be a permanent ban on eating the eggs from that particular hen for the rest of her life. Seems a little extreme... Might not hurt to contact the manufacturer of the medications to get the withdrawl time straightened out. It could be that your vet is (maybe?) interpreting the instructions wrong? I have lots of friends in the UK that medicate their birds for cocci without any problems. Try this website - it's UK based and they might have a better answer: http://kelseyinfo.co.uk/yabb/YaBB.pl

Good luck,

laura

P.S. Some birds just have chronically runny droppings, and there really is nothing wrong with them, nor is there anything that can truly be done for them. I have a couple like that, as well. Also, check into deworming her, as sometimes worms can cause diarrhea...
  • edited October 27

Hi I am Akhil Arya

The chicken has had
    the runs since, I got it however appears to be all around ok in herself, eyes
    brilliant, eating great, not being singled out at all by the two yet appears to
    shed. I called up the raiser and he said it was really 8 mnths old (piece more
    seasoned than I understood) and proposed I worm it.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management<<<<<<< .merge_file_V391Zq=======>>>>>>> .merge_file_B36pBT