converting website visitors Rats in chicken house - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Rats in chicken house

Geordie MacD Junior Member
We have had rats on a fairly consistent basis at my farm but we have always killed them with poison and/or traps. But lately they haven't been going for the traps or eating the poison. The reason I'm worried about it is this morning when i went out the get their eggs there was a hole chewed in the side of my chicken house and a prize winning bantam hen stuffed down a rat hole with all the flesh picked off her neck. I don't want to use sticky traps as i feel that they are inhumane (unless I where to shoot them when they get stuck in the trap but I don't really feel like doing that)
Does anyone know any other ways to get rid of them?

Comments

• Anne-Marie Junior Member
    edited January 2008
    Hi Geordie

I have had some problems with rats. I'm afraid it can be part of the course when you have chickens. but not to the extent you have.
    I am afraid that my attitude would not be as kind to the rats, if they had started to attack my hens.
    I think you should do every thing possible to stop this happening again.
    I know it is difficult to stop them. I had them coming into my hen house. I kept disturbing them and moving my house around.( I am lucky to have a chicken ark.) They have stopped coming in now.

Good Luck
    Anne-Marie
  • distillery Senior Member
    edited January 2008
    That sounds horrendous, I'm so sorry.

Have you looked at the rat zapper?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350018056478

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/rat_mouse_traps.htm#zapper

I've heard they are good, but not tried it myself. I only seem to have one resident rat at the moment, who is doing less damage than the mice.

Two of my hen houses are liable to collapse through subsidence soon .. into the mice holes. But they are too small to set off the traps and don't seem to be eating poison. So if you try the zapper and it is any good, please let me know!

And I feel you have the right to be brutal, they were.

Good luck!
    Hilary
  • sunny Member
    edited February 2008
    Another solution which I would have thought you might already have on a farm is a cat. My husband works at a farm that has many great rat catcher cats, and these cats never bother the hens either. Other farms have terriers which catch rats for them. Just another option, though I must say the Zapper looks good too.
  • anne Junior Member
    edited February 2008
    Ferret, I now not every one loves them but if you don,t want to have headless chickens (sorry to hear that) ferrets may be the answer. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy yourself a ferret perhaps someone nearby has one, ideally male. I have 3 old girls who hate a bath, every now and again I take them for a run round my coup and leave some droppings. I live below a farm so should have rats especially since our coup is beside a nice warm compost heap yet no problems so far.
  • Lilycd1 Junior Member
    edited February 2008
    hi the rat zapper is really good, i bought one last year, i didnt have chickens at the time but my neighbour had a rats nest in his garden and the rats were coming into my garden looking for food. they got into my shed and the mess they made was terrible. The zapper electricutes the rats so its not as cruel as poison or traps. I must say size didnt matter the rats it killed were huge also got quite a few mice. But be aware rats are highly intelligent animals so you need to move the zapper from time to time. If a rat sees another rat dead in the zapper it tells the rest of the family and they avoid it. I had that problem and nothing was caught for weeks but i moved the zapper and disguised it with leaves over the top and killed more. Do not touch the rats either they are carriers of very serious diseases. good luck.
  • Olivia G Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    I got a rat zapper from amazon -http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000FII3YW/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1225462113&sr=8-1 and it seems to do the job just fine! We have caught quite a few big-uns around our coop, although you do have to keep moving the trap as they do cotton on.
  • Sandy Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    You might want to set up something like this ...

Mouse/Rat bucket / Peanut butter method

You can drown the mice/rats instead of catching them
    All you need is a bucket/or deep container for rats
    / some peanut butter / water

Sit your bucket/or container someplace that mice/rats frequent
    Some place that the chickens can’t get into it

Smear peanut butter on the inside of the bucket /container on one third of the top part, slightly below the rim so the mice/rats have to lean in to get to it

Fill the bucket/container half way up

You will find the mice/rats will try to eat the peanut butter slip and fall into the bucket and drown, no poisons to worry about and easy to remove and get rid of and you don’t have to destroy them by hand

You can do the same sort of thing for rats… just need a large bucket or drum and put the food source further down so the rat has to really reach to get to it

The container must be high enough so the rat can’t touch the bottom and give it leverage to get out, the sides must also be straight with no ridges or anything they can get a foot hold to get out

Treats for rats can be different to mice… in your area might be worth experimenting what works best
  • gene Junior Member
    edited October 2008
    Have you tried Eradibait?
    It is different from conventional rat poison which is actually inhumane.
    It is apparently irrisitable to rodents and is only poisonous to them because of their unique digestive systems so safe to use around other animals.
    I had good success with this.
  • 6BuffRocks6BuffRocks Senior Member
    edited October 2008
    Rats do not differentiate between the hen house and yours!

They are vermin and carry all sorts of harmful bacteria (The Great Plague - London - 1665)

I recently has mice under the kitchen sink and I think attracted by a free a meal in the hen house.

Anything I can catch that can harm my girls are definitely going to die.... :(

Regards,
    Wendy
  • 6BuffRocks6BuffRocks Senior Member
    edited November 2008
    Just came across this post by Sandy and thought it would help the current rat problem by moving the posting to the top of the board.

Brilliant idea - we used to use this method in the summer with wasps, use a jam jar with a little jam left in around the top and half fill with water. The wasps go for the jam and then whoops! in the water. Perfect!

You can enjoy a beer without getting stung :)

Best wishes,

Wendy
  • erica Junior Member
    edited June 2013
    I have a feeder from this link http://thecarpentershop.net/mediumplywoodchickenfeeder.html
    Since I got this feeder, I'd never seen those rats. If your worry on price, there's no problem on that, its only $65.00 for the medium size and $60.00 for small size + shipping
  • charles16 Junior Member
    edited April 2015
    You should contact to pest control companies immediately.
  • Try to check stoppestinfo It is an special site that recomended ways how to get rid of pests.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management<<<<<<< .merge_file_V391Zq=======>>>>>>> .merge_file_B36pBT