We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

2020 coup project coming together nicely

I'll update as I find new ideas to share.

https://imgur.com/user/sandman360/posts

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks for sharing . loving the coop
    i also love the barrel ....did you have to drink all the contents before you started ?
    how are all your chooks now?
    x Kath
  • SandmanSandman Senior Member
    they are well! Battling the heat seems to be a sore spot.. have had to tarp off a large part of the run for shade.
    The barrel was a "side of the road" find... did a little reinforcement in order to cut the hole.. but its really neat and the ladies like to sit inside of it from time to time.
    I'm thinking of adding a second entrance to the run.. higher up with a ramp system with added perches or goody tables.
    they like to perch up in the roof and rafters so a second exit might make it a little easier to navigate inside...trying to address them jumping down on each other or breaking a leg.. but mostly to add an element of fun and interest. Maybe a balcony!! lol. Split Staircase!!! chicken mansion!
    youre having lots of fun planning and building!....what about an automatic elevator - balanced by a stone so when they stand on the platform it automatically drops down for them LOL just joking of course ....unless..................
    xKath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited June 27
    Mine have always pestered me for a mealworm fountain 😋

Seriously Kath - you should patent that idea! I bet Sandman could build one...
    Meal Worm Fountain??
    Show and Tell??
    I was looking at a maggot farm system.. but the "stink" scares me a bit!! but meal worms... clean and stink free!
    Helen wouldnt it get a bit boring sitting on an umpires chair dropping mealworms down one at a time? im sure great great grandpappy could come up with a better idea involving a long long piece of string.
    hope you and hubby are feeling lots better now xx
    Kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Yes thanks Kath, almost 100% now!

As for the mealworm fountain; think chocolate fountain but with mealworms. Only for very posh coops like yours though Sandman!
    updated the coop today...
    I think we are going with a two story idea.. lower floor will have a covered run and an interior ceiling to separate the new girls from the 4 month old ladies.
    The new upper door will service the second floor.
    All of this is temporary but the new door system.. how long do you suppose it'll take to fully integrate the new girls?

https://imgur.com/a/64vV9D1
    wow thats not a coop thats a palace!!!!!!!!
    as long as the little ones are able to run and hide from any attacks they will be fine but make sure theres more than one feeding station so everyone gets a chance to eat in peace and if theres bullying at bedtime try putting the younger ones to bed a good while before the older girls
    youve got them visible to each other and you havent mentioned any attempts at attacks between the barricades so they may just gel easily for you . good luck xx
    Kath