We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hen seems weird

I know I've asked a lot of questions on this site and most of the time I'm just overreacting, but I'm really scared of not knowing something and then something bad happens to my chickens :(. I think my one hen is molting right now, but I'm not completely sure. Her feathers aren't falling off a lot, but more than the other two's feathers. Her comb is dull and light and it also seems dry? It almost looks as if it has dead skin on it. This is the part I'm the most afraid of. It also seems as if the part of her comb that's right next to her nostrils are swollen. She doesn't come to eat as much as before (she'd just stand behind and watch) unless it's a yummy snack. She has also been trying to peck my face a few days ago. She kept pecking my lips and then later I covered them, but then she just pecked my nose(she tried it about 3 days ago too, but I keep her away from my face for now). I don't know if these are symptoms of molting or something else. Does someone maybe know what it is?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 21
    hi Shani - you can ask as many questions as you like on here - we all started sometime
    when a hen stops laying like they do when they moult their combs do change colour and look dull . they also arent as forward as usual , acting a bit depressed . the moult takes it out of them and i assume is really uncomfortable - image trying to sllep with those pin feathers poking you. shes giving you chook kisses- just preening you like she would one of her friends- but be aware that sometimes they will try to peck at your eyes so try to keep them away from your face for your own sake.
    you sound like youve got a lovely little flock there and they are lucky to have such a loving carer as you
    keep yourself safe Shani
    xx Kath
  • Thank you! :) I'm happy to know she's alright, I was very stressed

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Shani - what season is it in SA? Chooks usually moult going into Autumn.
  • It is Autumn now. I was more afraid, because my other two chickens don't seem to be moulting, but then again this is the first time my hen molts. Do they start molting at different times?

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Young hens generally don't molt in their first winter. Others can start molting any time from late summer through to mid winter. The ones that molt earlier are better off, because they have nice new thick plumage when the weather gets cold!