We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Chicken won't lay eggs

My tiniest chicken (not by age, she's just small) hasn't been laying eggs for about 3 months now. She's only 1 year old, so I don't think it's because of age. Everytime it seems like she's going to lay an egg, but never does. She just went to lay down and did that egg song thing after she stood up. I went to check if she layed an egg, because this has happened before, but there wasn't an egg. I also just felt if there is an egg inside her, but it doesn't really feel so. Does anyone know why she could have stopped? And why she still thinks she is laying eggs?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    the mock laying may just be her trying to maintain her status in the flock
    What breed is she - theres a big difference between breeds re their laying capabilities and also from chicken to chicken . i had one once who only ever laid in july and august .
    as long as shes otherwise fit and healthy and not straining to lay i wouldnt be worried
    x kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Hello again Shani! As Kath says - let us know what breed she is, because that can make a difference. For example, commercial breeds can be laying regularly one minute, then lying internally the next, and it won't show for months. They still sing the egg song because they really have laid an egg, but it's missed the oviduct and plopped inside the abdominal cavity.
    Have you checked her for mites? If she has them they will be seen around the vent feathers, with possible scabbing around the vent.
    Also - when was the last time your flock was wormed?
  • They are bantam chickens. Our other hen is also a bantam chicken, but lays more eggs than this one I was talking about. I have checked her for mites, it doesn't seem like she has any. Do you mean dewormed? They haven't been dewormed or anything yet. I'm new to chickens, that's also why I ask so many questions. I don't think they have worms though, is there a way to check?

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 9
    Kath is more knowledgeable about bantams, so let her advise you here!

Regarding deworming (we refer to it as worming here in the UK), we use a product called 'Flubenvet' which is added to the chicken's daily feed for 7 days. We usually do this at least two or three times a year here, especially when the weather is wet and warm. Eggs can be eaten quite safely during this time too.
    There is a way to find out if your chickens have worms; it involves collecting a selection of their poop (fairly fresh samples) and getting a vet to check it under a microscope, but we tend to worm as a routine measure, a bit like we do with cats and dogs.

Can you get Flubenvet there in South Africa (at vets or online)? It's worth checking with a chicken friendly vet to see what is available to you there. Another option is ivermectin, which is applied as drops on the skin at the back of the neck, but it is advised that the eggs are not eaten for a period of time after this.
  • I'll have to ask out vet if she has anything. If she doesn't have anything she usually refers us to another vet so I believe we'll find something