We have recently updated this site to improve security. As a result you may need to reset your password next time you log in. Simply click the Reset Password link and follow the instructions. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Hen losing her voice?

One of our hens have recently been sounding weird. She can still make sounds, but it's as if the softer sounds she's trying to make struggles to get through. She just did that loud cackle thing that they do after they've layed an egg and it sounded completely normal and very loud. It doesn't seem like she has trouble breathing and in general she looks completely healthy. Although I think she might be molting, so I don't know if molting has an effect on a hens voice. Does anyone know what it could be?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Hi Shani
    moulting doesnt affect a hens voice but old age does ....you should hear me trying to sing :) my older ladies always start sounding croaky when shouting or singing
    as long as shes not coughing and is eating and drinking fine im sure shes ok
    x Kath
  • She's only about 1 year old, but she's not coughing and she's doing everything fine. Thanks for letting me now! 😄 It makes me feel a lot better knowing she's okay.

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited February 29
    Hi Shani,
    If she is moulting then she won't be laying eggs, or singing her 'egg song'.

Some hens who are off lay for other reasons like to make a claim on another hen's egg, and they 'sing' as loudly as they can as if to prove it's theirs!

Have you seen her actually shedding feathers or actually laying an egg?

Loss of voice can be one of the first signs of respiratory issues, so keep an eye on her, and if you see any bubbles coming out of her eyes then get her to a vets for some Tylan.
  • Hallo, thank you for the information! She wasn't laying eggs at the time, but her voice seems to be completely alright now. She started laying eggs again a few weeks ago and now she stopped again, but her voice still seems perfect. Thanks again!

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    So pleased to hear that she is better!