FLUID IN LUNGS, young Jersey Giant pullet

I bought some Jersey chicks a few months ago and they have been doing fine with our other babies. But while I was out in the yard today I heard what you never what to hear from a chicken, screaming. I looked over and she was being swung by her head. You would think that the assailant would be a dog, but they know better than to touch the chickens. You kill a chicken you get beat with a dead one. But to my horror, the one who actually picked her up was our 8 month old Jersey Heifer, who grabbed her, and was shaking her like she was trying to break off a tree branch. I got her to drop the chicken when I ran up to her, but when I checked the pullet, she sounded like she was gargling. I felt her neck, and it didn't fell broken except a small bump. She still seems to have full mobility of it and tried to eat, but is there anything I can do to help her? She is already separated from the flock.

Comments

• I'm mostly worried about her developing Pneumonia or Something
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi
    first time ive ever heard of a calf attacking a chicken!
    is she still gurgling or was it just when it first happened?
     i would get that lump seen by a vet if it was one of mine - chickens have more bones in their necks than giraffes . also a course of tylan if shes still gurgling,
    is she managing to eat now? if not try her on sugar or honey water to keep her strength up
     i hope she makes it x Kath
  • Now it's less of a gurgle, but occasionally when she breathes it sounds like she's purring. Like a cat, not a normal sort of chicken growl. She is eating now, we mostly feed cracked corn for the chickens, but we also have sweet feed I gave to her that they get on occasion. I'll give her a round of Tylan and see if it helps her. Thank you so much!
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Gosh....weird for a calf to 'have a go'. She may have aspirated stuff into her lungs from the crop during the attack, so antibiotics are a good choice. Hopefully she'll make a good recovery.

Lambs regularly chase chickens in play. A ewe of mine also isn't keen on them and she'll head butt, but though she's quick, the chickens are faster.
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    If the air sacs were damaged, they can repair themselves very quickly, so it might have been that.  
    Usually I would expect a hen to die of the shock from something like that, so it sounds like she had a lucky escape, especially as she is eating now.