vent prolapse

hi
 Buffy (pekin) started prolapsing on Sunday , managed to clean it and put it back , luckily i had veterizine and anusol in and had some metacam and tylan left over from her resp infection . Checking on here its almost 3 years to the day that she did this before and is doing exactly the same now as then - fine when laying but prolapsing on her in between days when she does a poo....shes straining to poo and therefore pushing it out . ive got some liquid paraffin on order to see if it will make things easier for her
she had no problems in the past 2 years
thoughts anyone?
x Kath

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    It's odd that she is fine when laying isn't it?

I would be trying the liquid paraffin too in case of a bit of a blockage, but also try to tempt her with wet food, such as wet mash (or use pellets with plenty of water).

One other trick I'm sure you probably know - spray her vent with cold water now and then to help her tighten those muscles!
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks Helen
    she seems to be ok again now but hasnt laid since apart from a tiny lash
    i remembered your advice of spraying cold water from the last time but the vetricyn seems to work and gets her twitching !
     how are things with you? any sign of your new exbatts?
    ive been talking to Sandie by e-mail but she cant seem to be able to get on the site any more
    x Kath

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    At last i have managed to get onto the site....a combination of the site, my computer and the internet around here!

Kath....how is the prolapse (Buffy that is!) and any new batts. Helen?

I still have a lot of chooks in spite of one hen being killed by a falling iron fence and another who had EYP.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    How awful for you to lose a hen that way Sandie.  I hope she didn't know too much about it, poor girl.

Picked up three exbatts yesterday, so they are still getting over their fears, but as soon as they were put outside this morning, one keeled straight over in a sunbeam as they do, one started eating grass, and the other had a rummage in the dirt.  I love it when the instincts kick in.  
    :-*
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hooray, Sandies back
    Buffy is fully recovered now and hasnt laid in days . trouble is she insists on sleeping in the hospital pen every night .....lady muck !

congrats on the newbies Helen . any names yet? Lucky would be appropriate living their days out with you
     keep in touch girls
     Kath xx
  • JoSAA Participating Institutes 2019 | On the official website of Joint Seat Allocation Authority at josaa.nic.in, the list of all the institutes that are going to participate in the JEE Main Counseling 2019. The Participating Institutes in JoSAA 2019 are all mentioned and detailed on the official website.