RIP Cookie

So our beautiful Cookie passed away on 17th. It really hurt to see her go. It always does! She was such a lovely hen and loved a cuddle and attention, not to mention her food! We took her to a vet new to us but didn’t get a good feel about them, they did lots of tests which included aspirating some fluid from her crop but didn’t test it! She was put on tramadol and an anti inflammatory but we called the next day as crop still not going and they put her on Nystatin and said sour crop is ‘normally’ fungal. This is when we discovered they didn’t test the crop fluid! Questioned the treatment again and they then prescribed an antibiotic. Only my personal view but I think all the meds didn’t do her little body any good. She then started to regurgitate green fluid. So, she’s gone bless her. Our oldest ex-batt we had for 3 years. RIP Cookie x

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Hi Bonnie
    so sorry to hear about Cookie but you did your very best to help her .Three years in retirement is a really good achievement for an ex batt it must have been hard for you seeing her go
    thinking of you
     x kath
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Thanks Kath, it was so hard, and now we have lost Tess! Although their symptoms weren’t exactly the same, both regurgitated green liquid at the end. Awful to see. I’ve scoured the internet but can’t find what it might be. Anybody have any ideas? In the meanwhile we’re not getting any new hens which is a shame as we miss them. Now only have 2 :-(
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    sorry to hear about Tess
     not sure what the green liquid was unless its just the crop contentsbeing regurgitated .
    not getting any new hens ?? how will you live your life without hens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kathx

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Hi Bonnie,

I know I'm late catching up with this thread, but I just wanted to help put your mind at ease.  
    As you know I do my own pm's and in my experience when exbats get bad sourcrop and meds don't fix it, then it's usually because they have cancer throughout the intestines.  Sadly it's still the biggest killer of hens bred for productivity.