converting website visitors Chicken sling - Solarbats help? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Chicken sling - Solarbats help?

Hi

Just a quick check in as we're so busy with building work we didn't even have time to put up Christmas decorations 
:|

I'm hoping that Helen can help me as I need to make a sling for Bluebird.  Her leg muscles are wasting away and I read up that popping them in a sling can help build them up again.  Bless her, she can't stand at all now but is still alert and is eating and drinking.   

Anyway, hope you all have a Happy New Year xx

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi Bonnie
     sorry to hear about Bluebird,hows she doing now ?
    Kathxx

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Hi Bonnie!  You've probably sorted something out by now, but here is a pic of the old harness.  It's very basic - just a fleece with a hole cut in for her leg.  Yours would be much more stable with two holes I expect!  Let us know what you come up with.HPIM2330-001
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    Hi Helen thanks for this. I’ll give it a go. I guess a hole to poop through too
    edited February 16
    Sadly Bluebird passed away yesterday. It was a peaceful ending. She snoozed away. I’d been looking after her indoors for about 3 months so I really miss her being around, bless her
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi Bonnie
     So sorry to hear about Bluebird . you did everything humanly possible to help her
    how many chooks are you left with now ? is it just the two newbies?
    thinking of you
     Kath  xx
    Hi Bonnie, glad she was peaceful.
    I know what you mean about house hens - we occasionally have a hen in for the night and they think they can just waltz in any time they like!  They inspect the whole place, poop, then go out again!
    So now we have 4 hens, Cookie our remaining ex-bat who will have been with us for 3 years on Tuesday. Sisters Tess and Sita and White Cloud who we adopted when we moved here. Cookie is currently indoors as she has sourcrop. It never rains but it pours! Hope you all are well x
    You know how it is with ex bats - always something lurking!  

Oddly enough though, we've recently drained a Light Sussex (either cancer or ascites I'd guess).  First time I've known a pure breed fill up with fluid, but then I've not had that many of those.  Three weeks on and she's doing quite well, with just a small amount of fluid back on, and her comb has lost it's black tinge.