Watery poo

My birds have been dropping watery pool. And l also discovered that some of their poo are brownish in color. I have dewormed them just last week. And the antibiotics given them have not elapsed two months. What should l do next?.

Comments

• doormouse Senior Member
    Hi
    There used to be a very good link on this site to help identify issues with poo - good commentary with graphic pictures but unfortunately it's been a while since I've been on here - the site has changed dramatically and I can't find it! I will keep looking...

In the meantime, I would review what they're eating - are you giving them too many watery snacks like grapes and lettuce? If so they might be better of with drier snacks like small amounts of rice or pasta for a while.

Hopefully you'll get more help soon but I would say it sounds like encouraging news that it's happening to more than one bird as watery poo in one bird could indicate kidney problems.

How many hens and what sort of ages are they?
    ~:> M
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Chickens poo several sorts of 'stuff' over the course of the day. Bowel transit time (time taken for poo to appear at the cloaca after eating )is  rapid in any case....just a few hours.

The brown and semi-liquid stuff is called caecal poo and is when there is even quicker transit time through the bowel. This happens once or twice a day, In between times the poo is more solid and contains areas of white(uric acid).

What is the condition of your chickens otherwise? Are they eating well, looking well, active and behaving normally? Are they unwell?

If the stuff they are passing is always liquid, then you need to check the diet etc.as Marie says. They may have bowel pathogens resistant to the wormer or be suffering from a large number of other conditions.