converting website visitors Massive mite infestation problem - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Massive mite infestation problem

Hi, can anyone please advise me on a mite problem. I have 5 hens and a cockerel and have noticed that one hen looked really poorly with feathers missing and thick scales on legs. Realizing that this was due to mites , I bought a spray from the vet and cleaned out the shed etc. I also used one of these self releasing sprays in the shed where I store the straw for the chicken shed and also threw a few handfuls of the special dust powder into the straw. However, I have noticed that there are still mites , black and tiny red ones, in the straw storage shed . My dilemma therefore is, that I am fighting a losing battle if using infested straw in chicken shed. I could try buying fresh straw, but what to do with existing pile as have loads of it as kindly neighbouring farmer gave me one of those massive round bales . In any case, I dońt have the space !
Anyone with ideas please.

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited October 13
    hello
    youve got a problem there !
    the trouble with using straw is that it has plenty of room inside each blade for mites to hide so really difficult to kill them all
     ivermectin / hypermectin used on the chooks will kill any that bite them but wont stop any from trying and youll need lots of mite powder / de earth in the straw too
     if youre in a country where the weather is nice at the moment then open up the doors and windows and let sunlight into the storage shed - sunlight, however weak kills mites
    not sure what the red mites are that you are seeing as the red mites i know only turn red after feeding .
    when you think about how much sprays and powder are going to cost you it may be better to cut your losses and replace the straw . compost or burn the old stuff
    let us know how you get on
     kath

• Hi, Thank-you for your reply. I do actually live in Germany and weather is superb. What I have done today is taken out a small amount of straw and placed it in the sun on a wheelbarrow. Intend to do this till all straw is used up for chickens. (Cannot burn the stuff as have already been cautioned because of fire risk to neighbouring fields.) Btw. What can one perhaps use instead of straw? Anna
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi Anna
    ive always used hay for the nesting area but a lot of people use sawdust or the bedding used for horses. All bedding has its pros and cons.
    The chicken with scaley leg mites may need ivermectin to get rid of the mites more effectively than just spraying and keep an eye on her to ensure the legs / scales dont become infected (scaley leg mites live, breed, eat and poo under the scales so any cuts or scratches can be a big problem )
    hope shes ok soon
    kathx