converting website visitors sandie - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

sandie

how did all the hatching go ?how many cockerels this time?
kathx

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    First hatch 5pullets and 4 cockerels (I think.....very late feathering gene on one of them means 17 weeks old and 90% fluff....but 4 cockerels and 4 pullets for sure) 
    Second hatch.....still quite young, but look like 2 cockerels to me!
    Third hatch.....the broody had 3 and none survived.
    Fourth hatch.....well they're just 7 days on the incubator and 11:12 have good embryos.
    Looking very much like there's going to be a whole lot of chickens to over-winter.
    How many chickens do you have now?
    How's the weather your end? We've, at last, got rain and the fields have greened up. We still don't have any silage for winter.
    We have been expecting the spring (our water supply) to dry up all through the summer. mercifully it has held out.
    Sandie

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    sounds very successful
    therell be lots of cocka doodling round your place next year :)
    ive just got the 6 chooks at the moment and will keep to that while ive got zena - cant trust her with new youngsters
    id heard there was a shortage of silage , thats a big problem for the winter for you . will there be some now the weathers changed or is it too late?i hope you manage to sort some out soon
    the hot weather comes with a price tag . its even affectedthe little crops i grow - plenty of fruit but the beans and peas are pretty pathetic . ive watered every day but theyre used to getting a soaking in our normal summers
    let us know how you get on with your next hatching
     x kath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    I'm hoping that we manage to get something off the fields, but we rely on a neighbour to cut it for us , and he is very busy at the moment.

I had little marbles for potatoes this year, but have great beans and courgettes due mainly to watering them with waste water form the house and harvesting what little bit of rain that we had. Fruit, as you say, fared better....small but concentrated flavour.

The chickens sunbathed a lot, but gave up on laying for a while. They are back in lay again now.  This year has been so exceptional....coldest (Beast from the East), nigh on driest (beaten only by 1976), Warmest and variously very windy and wet (spring).....we are ill-equipped for such climate extremes.

Sandie