converting website visitors resperatory in chickens - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

resperatory in chickens

hi. I have one chicken. She is six years old now. In the six years, this is the second time she is sick. The first time her nose were bleeding and we took her to the vet. I think it were resperatory problems. Tonight is the second time. something is wrong. the is breathing heavy and make wheezing sound.  open mouth. funny thing is, none of that during the day. only started now. think it is resparatory problems again. How dangersous is this. ? and do i need to take her to the vet? or can i just treat her with baitral and put apple side vinegar in her water?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi Elsabe
    if she was showing these symptoms dayt aand night then id go ahead with the baytril but if shes only having problems at night then id suspect something in the coop is making her wheeze...is it dusty or damp in there?
    when did you worm her last ? gapeworm has similar symptoms to respiratory diseases.
    if the symptoms continue or if she develops any more then a trip to the vet would be in order
    apple cider vinegar is a great tonic and i use it for a week out of every month -just remember not to put it in metal containers
    let us know how she gets on
    kath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Respiratory problems are quite common in chickens, and Baytril is a good treatment for acute respiratory infection.

ACV is, at best, a 'tonic' and won't treat any acute infection.

If your hen has had a similar illness before, then a phone call to him/her may be all you need to do.

Good Luck.