converting website visitors the upside of being the bottom hen - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

the upside of being the bottom hen

i let the chooks out of their run this morning and as usual ,my bottom hen Bluebell, a little splash silkie , was first to get out . While the others were fussing in the run and waiting for meal worms she was up the garden and had first pickings of anything that had appeared overnight.
She went under the blackcurrant bushes and raced out with something big in her mouth ....a dead baby bird
Gross to watch a cute fluffy chook acting like a t rex but i couldnt help noting how clever she was to find it , how fast she was keeping away from both me and the other chooks and how determined she was that it was hers and noone was getting it off her . Her ducking and diving skills could teach  the Welsh rugby team a thing or two.
x kath

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    shes gone broody now so having duvet days while the others are working for a living in the garden
    kath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    This hot weather doesn't deter them from going broody, does it? I'm doing my best to dissuade 3 Brahma hens from their broodiness right now. 

Don't be fooled by their cuddly look....pure raptor under that fluff.

Fancy a nice big Brahma cockerel to sort your girls out, Kath?

Sandie

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    mine arent getting too badly affected by the heat as theres lots of shade and shrubs in my garden so easy to stay out of the sun. my next door neighbour had visitors the other day and they got spooked by strange noises and rustling coming from my blackcurrant bushes ;)
    ill say no thanks to the cockerel Sandie - Mr Kipling is doing a great job of keeping the girls in line ......hes also trying to keep the dog and my two sons away .  he stopped  having a go at me until a few days ago when i started wearing red trousers hes literally seeing red !
    ive also still got the transexual silkie :)
    x kath

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management