converting website visitors Respiratory Issues in Chickens - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Respiratory Issues in Chickens

I've been having ongoing respiratory issues with my chickens. It started with some chicks I got several months ago, they all died (less one), and it's gone through my flock. Symptoms have included coughing and sneezing. With the younger chicks that died due to this had raspy and open mouth breathing It's not been as severe with the adults. It seemed to clear up for the most part but I've still been hearing periodic coughs/sneezes. Today I found two deceased in the coop. One when I picked her up had white drainage/discharge from her nose and mouth. Does anyone have suggestions on what this may be and how to get rid of it? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi
    sorry to hear about your losses
    sounds like an infectious respiratory disease but without an autopsy its hard to say which one exactly as they all have similar symptoms . mycoplasma is usually diagnosed if the eyes are bubbly , coryza is an upper respiratory tract infection that if left untreated can cause blockages in the sinus and secondary infections
    with the disease causing death its vital that you treat your whole flock with antibiotics - tylan would be best but baytril is also good
    apple cider vinegar in their water and / or garlic in their water or food will help to break down the mucous
    hope this helps
     x kath

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    I'd agree with Kath.

I'd discuss with your vet if they have a good knowledge of birds. Like Kath, I'd treat the whole flock.

Good Luck,

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    How did you get on with your flock?