converting website visitors good vibes needed please - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

good vibes needed please

i had to take SallySioux back to the vet today as the metacam doesnt seem to have worked for her .
shes now on steroids for the weekend but if they dont work then i fear it may be cancer thats affecting her leg
shes not in any pain really just unwilling to use her right leg and is now pushing it out infront of herself like a chick with splayed legs
shes also got a tummy upset from just eating fruit and veg but today really tucked into a bag of maggots so maybe the steroid injection has perked her up a little
i hope the tablets work - its so hard as shes quiter alert in herself , just laying down all the time
x kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    My best vibes are on their way to you, Kath.

Steroids always make the recipients feel better whatever the underlying pathology.

Could the vet X-ray the leg? If there's an underlying tumour, then euthanasia would, regrettably, be the kindest thing. 

You seem to be having a very sad run with your birds.

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this Kath.  It does seem very strange.  Are you sure it's not a break?  As Sandie said, an Xray would be the only way to tell.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks girls
     no sign of a break at all
     i took her back to the vets on tuesday as i discovered a lump on her side of the bad leg - it came away in my hand - a large crust leaving a gaping deep wound (missed previously by myself and 2 vets) so shes now on tylan for that and continuing the steroids for her leg
     the vet didnt think the wound was affecting her leg but thinks its nerve damage which will take weeks to improve if ever
     she remains bright and alert in herself and has started trying to stand but failing miserably
     trouble is time is not on her side - shes about 8 years old
     x kath
    This reminds me very much of our Cleo, although hers was a very different case. It's horrible when you see wounds like that.  Have you considered slapping honey on it and covering with a bandage?  Top it off with vetwrap, which is brilliant for hen's legs!

Poor SallySioux. Hopefully she isn't in too much pain...though, if there's nerve damage, then hopefully the pain nerves aren't working either.

She must be costing you a small fortune, Kath (or maybe not so much of a SMALL fortune)

Sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    thanks girls
     at the risk of jinxing her ive found her twice today resting on her haunches rather than splay legged  so heres hoping shes slowly on the mend
    when i take her out for a clean up i spend some time holding her in the standing position which really cheers her up. i seem to remember helen making a standing cradle - any chance of a pic or instructions please ?
    x kath
    I had to trail through the old pics to find this one.  Looks like we just tied a fleece to a pole (with a hole cut in in for her leg).  Hope it helps!

HPIM2330
    Ingenious hammock, Helen.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed that, whatever the underlying pathology, she continues to recover,

Sandie
    I think the hammock will work even better with two legs!  It was always used under supervision for Cleo, but she seemed to appreciate it.  She was a lovely docile hen.

Good luck with SallySioux Kath.