converting website visitors HELP! My duckling is sick? Urgent - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

HELP! My duckling is sick? Urgent

Hi! I didn't know where else to post this but here goes nothin'. So, pretty recently, I got a duckling. She's an indian runner duckling who's only a little less than a month old. About 3 days ago, I noticed she had white crust around her eyes. She was also sneezing. I looked around on google for solutions and I only found 3 options-- Taking her to the vet, Giving her a saline treatment, and putting a bit of apple cider vinegar in her water. I'm too broke for the vet, but the other two options have worked fine. She still has eye crust and she hasn't sneezed once since. Any ideas on what this could be? What should I do?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi Gwen
    your duckling really needs antibiotics as this sounds like a respiratory infection which could get worse or cause secondary infections or problems
    someone on here a while back treated mycoplasma with colloidal silver but it takes a really long time to work
    spray colloidal silver onto her food and spray those eyes to cleanse them and kill off any bacteria there
    golden eye ointment can also be used for eye infections
    put a bowl near her cage with boiling water in it and a cloveof garlic
    keep her away from your other ducks / chickens as shes very contagious
    hope she pulls through for you
    xxxkath

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Sorry to hear about your duckling, and think that Kath has nailed it.

The antibiotic treatment for mycoplasma (tetracyclines usually work) is not expensive. Some vets and on-line pharmacies (who will get a vet to ring you) will prescribe without seeing the duck( avoiding the charge).

Good Luck.
  • Hello! Fred, my duck, has made a speedy recovery. I used both of your suggestions, and got her on a diet of leafy greens, oats, some fruits and medicated feed. She's not off the medicated feed and will keep eating her healthy diet. The balding by her eye has COMPLETELY disappeared and now has feathers. No more eye crusties, snot, or sneezing. All smiles over here! Thank you, from me and Fred.
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Lovely to hear the news.

Good Luck to you and Fred.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management