converting website visitors How to improve heavy soil - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

How to improve heavy soil

1. Dig a trench.

2. Fill with lovely home made compost.

3. Send in the muck spreaders!

DSCN3924

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    youve got them well trained :)
    how do the sussex keep so clean with you ?in my experience white chickens plus wet earth =horror show
    x kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    It must be all those dunks in the shower :))

Fortunately they have a nice dry dust bath area too!
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    We have about 6 inches of malodorous mud everywhere...mud + sheep 'output' smells appalling....a day here, Helen, and you wouldn't recognise the sight nor the smell of those lovely Light Sussex.

Currently I have all the chickens (bird 'flu restrictions) and 11 ewes who have become very thin due to the appalling cold and wet as permanent sheep shed residents, so there's plenty of @!*^ shovelling to do on a daily basis.

I have had the closest shave ever last night when I hadn't properly latched the sheep ahed and all the chickens came out. I noticed one wandering up to the house this morning and found all the others bar on Gold Brahma around the silage feeders. I herded them back into the sheep shed and searched high and low for the missing hen. I gave up, thinking she wandered off and had become fox food. Then, just after 9:00 a.m (whilst mucking out the shed), I noticed a hen flutter up onto the wall. She was happy for me to pick her up and re-unite her with the others. I don't know where she had spent her night, but she was dry and warm (rained all night), so I'm guessing she probably tucked up with the sheep on a sheltered bank behind the sheep shed. I was delighted to have her back.

Anyway nice to see that you're still keeping our feathered friends, Helen.

Sandie

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Sounds like you were lucky there Sandie!

Poor you - with bird flu restrictions yet again!  Fortunately we still just have 'prevention zone' measures (foot dipping etc).

Hope you are feeding those ewes plenty of digestives Sandie!
    ~:> ~O)