converting website visitors I want to come back if you'll let me...! - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

I want to come back if you'll let me...!

Hi
Tried to look at the forum a few times but couldn't get through  the spam! Texted a few of you when Yorkie died in June (on her rescue anniversary!) - 5 years post rescue - not quite Nelly Dean either you've got new mobile numbers or you've dumped me (Helen and Kath!)

Sorry been awol but my Mum died in September...has been an horrendous year...2018 will be better....Galinda and Elfaba still going strong

Can't get any more batts at the mo as Galinda too much of a bully! 

Will catch up with you soon tonight
MX 

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Cripes, the Ghost of Christmases past.....Marie....how ARE you?

Very few of us frequent the site these days, so your re-appearance is VERY welcome.

2017 was straight from Hell for me....too painful to expand.

Chicken-wise....well I've hatched newbies....Gold Partridge Brahmas and intend to go back to ridiculous numbers after lambing.

So glad to hear from you again.....don't leave it so long this time!

S
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    Would never dump you - new phone
    so sorry to hear about your mum passing
    chicken -wise ive lost Lilly beth recently but gained a cockerel (black silkie) named Mr Kipling and also had a sex change - not me personally but one of the little splash silkies .I dont know what Georgie would have made of it !
    Really lovely to hear from you again
    x kath
  • doormouse Senior Member
    Hiya - yeah am fine now...just glad to get 2017 behind me - it was horrendous - lost a job I loved as a Research Assistant (zero hours...) I still meet my old scientist manager for coffee regularly but the £ ran out. Losing Mum at the same time was hard to say the least but Galinda and Elphaba have kept me as sane as I'm ever going to be!

I'm hanging out for a fab job I''ve been shortlisted for at Royal Veterinary College...keep all crossed!

hi, i hope 2018 will be a better year for you .
     keeping everything crossed that you get that job at the college......... you can teach them a thing or two about chickens :)
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    Ta Da!

It is I, solarbats, returned from a long absence!  

I too could not log on for ages, but by chance I was doing some research online and followed a link to this site, which then let me on!

Nice to see Kath and Sandie still holding the fort, and to hear from Marie again.  Yes Marie - I have upgraded from my Nokia!  Now have a DORO (Doddery Old Retard's Option)!

Sorry it's been such a rough time for you Marie and Sandie.  I hope that this year will bring you some joy.

I have scaled down my operation somewhat and currently have 6 hens.

really lovely to hear from you Helen
    are the six newbies?
     ive lost one and gained one since we spoke . infact i lost the same chook twicw as a fox dug her up 3 weeks later .
     the one i gained is a black silkie cockerel named Mr Kipling - the only hatch from eggs i gave Sally SIoux and she attacked it badly which meant he was in the house for 7 months .he had a nasty gash on his head which left him with a wonky comb and a slight crossed beak
    in other news - one of my silkie hens has changed sex and the other one is growing a very masculine comb so im about to have 3 cocks -but 2 are just pretending.
    let us know what youve been up to
     xx kath 

Never a dull moment in your flock Kath :))

I have two Light Sussex, nearly three years old and four ex bats ( 2 rescued 2016, 2 in 2017).

I seem to always have a 'mite magnet' in the flock, and it's always a pure breed.  When she moulted, none of the flock had mites for that whole time, then as soon as she feathered up, they were back.  No treatment goes near them any more so I've resorted to plonking them under the shower!  Making sure they are properly dry before bed time of course! 
    im itching just thinking about the mites ...nasty little things
    light sussex are good layers so are you getting plenty of eggs?my lot are getting worse - out of 8 hens only one is laying , one started then stopped again , two havent come back into lay yet (they may not) two have changed sex and two retired . must have words with them :)
    xx kath
    It's funny how things go isn't it?  I have been known to have 14 hens and only 5 laying, but at the moment I've been lucky and had 5 out of 6 until just recently.  Now it's dropped to 4 out of 6, still plenty of eggs!
    The Light Sussex do lay well, in fact the 'mite magnet' lays like an exbat, but the other one 'only' lays three days a week at the moment.
    Welcome home, Helen...still 'batty', then? (Referring to the ex-batt chickens, of course).

Diatomaceous earth liberally applied to everything has solved my girls' mite problem for years now.

Due to the advanced age of my girls, egg laying ceased mid-October, but , as I was down to single figures for chickens, I hatched some eggs across the summer....some Gold Brahma and some 'mongrel' from my own girls.The first of them came into lay on January 1st and the second on 20th January. Tiny pullet eggs turned up here and there, but, when bird 'flu restrictions came in again, the eggs were easier to find. At night I have been locking them in their outdoor coop and walking them up there into their 'lockdown' in the sheep shed in the morning. 2 mornings back, LLwydfach ('Littlegrey), the second pullet to start laying, failed to appear. 3 of us failed to find her, and I thought the fox must have taken her. Then, in a small outhouse where the dog (plus lawnmower, garden tools, old paint etc) spends his day, I spied her in the corner.....sitting on 4 eggs. Most definitely a descendant of the lovely Mrs Grey, this little lady must have laid all of half a dozen eggs before she went broody. (Mrs Grey spent pretty much all of her life broody). She must somehow have escaped from the sheep shed and made her way (about 300 yards) back to where she had laid eggs before 'lockdown' commenced. 

Persuading her to leave the eggs was easy enough and LLwynfach is back in the sheep shed.The dog has eaten the eggs (only one of which showed a 'fertile ring'). As I've planned to have more Gold and Blue Partridge Brahmas this summer, Llwynfach will, no doubt oblige me when the weather warms up.

Kath....are your sex-change chickens (I'm avoiding calling them cocks or hens) crowing?

My Gordon still has a very loud voice, then there are 3 others. A Blue Partridge Brahma called Teddy who crows well (but may be life limited as he attacks the dog and wing dances visitors), and of the youngest two Aggro (who isn't pure bred) has found his voice, whereas James (very tall Gold Brahma pure bred) is silent. James will be huge when fully grown, I think, but is very timid right now.

Sandie
    edited February 5
    hi sandie
    one of the transexuals is crowing well - more than mr kipling in fact ! the other one is just growing a big comb so far
    mr kipling attacks george the dog but hes so thick skinned he doesnt even notice . hes also started pecking at my shoes but still runs away from buffy the little pekin  :) looks like ive got another namby pamby !
    very early and young to go broody - must be related to the wonderful mrs grey
    xx kath
    Hi Sandy,

Yes - I do indeed use DE on the hens, but I'm pretty sure that it's NFM I'm fighting, since it returns so fast.  I apply the DE the day after the shower, then check after a couple of days (OK), then after another couple of days(still OK), then leave it three or four days and... nasty colony around the vent with sore scabs!
    Before I had the Light Sussex, it was a Norfolk Grey who was the mite magnet, but I'm convinced that applying DE so regularly was causing her breathing problems, so don't like to over do it. Have you ever known it cause breathing problems?

I do remember how Mrs Grey used to go broody in the most dangerous places, especially during stormy weather!  It sounds like your creatures are still keeping you on your toes!
    Hi, Helen,
    Never had a problem with DE, but it is a very fine dust. I don't apply it to the birds, just dust the coop very thickly. I use spot-on ivermectin (Harkers) behind the head, off licence, and designed for racing pigeons...
    There's a good article on this site about mites. 

Llwynfach is definitely a 'chip off the old block'......I'm just a little surprised that she laid enough eggs for me ever to get a descendant...

My oldest hen, Moel, is on her last legs and is staying huddled up in the straw of the sheep shed, barely eating or drinking. She's 9 (and shows no signs of changing sex). Kath, maybe there is something in your water.....have you noticed beard or moustache growth?

edited February 6
    Hi 
     i use hypermectin too - twice a year . touch lots of wood no sign of mites.
    strange how both my silkies are changing sex - never experienced it before with any breed . i told my vet about itwhen i was around there wth the dog  and she reckons they probably have cancer but if that is the case why dont ex batts do it more often ?

no sandie - no hairy growth appearing nor have i felt the urge to crow in the mornings apart from last saturday - oggy oggy oggy
    xx kath

Could 34-7 have something to do with that, Kath?
    Moel is a good age Sandie.  Are there any sheep in there with her (eating digestives?).

Re the mites; I've tried harkers, even tried the cattle ivomec which is more potent.  The vet suggested we try Frontline; again not effective, which is why I'm pretty sure they are Northern Fowl mite.  This week the battle is going better, possibly because I've done some feather trimming around the vents!

Kath - you are fortunate not to have more hairy growth as you get older!
    im sure i heard a few years back that a university had studied lice and mites and found that giving the patient antibiotics killed them - they drank antibiotics in the blood which broke down their digestive system
     i posted about it on here but cant find it now
    worth a try?
    x kath
    edited February 13
    I think I'll pass on that idea - not keen on using a/bs unless absolutely neccessary!   Still clear at the moment thankfully!

By the way - it's possible I may disappear now and then, since this site really doesn't like letting me on!