converting website visitors my chickens won't come out of the coop - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

my chickens won't come out of the coop

We got our pullets in July. With the recent cold temperatures 20's/low 30's they haven't come out of their coop much if at all. I don't know if they don't want to come out because it is cold or not. I am worried they will not eat/drink since their water and food is in their run outside their closed area. 

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Hi and welcome to the forum
    they havent had a scare in their run lately have they ? if not then it does sound like the cold weather is causing them to have duvet days
    they should come out when theyre hungry as no animal knowingly starves itself .if youre worried though you could try turfing them out for an hour a day so they eat or maybe put the food or a bowl of treats closer for them or even inside the coop for a short while
    hope they soon start behaving for you
     x kath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Mine wouldn't budge during recent heavy snow. I cleared a patch in front of their coop and took them out one by one. There I gave them warm porridge to eat, put grain and back into the coop and let them return after I'd cleaned out. Since the snow has gone they are back to shooting out the moment the door is opened.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Sandie