converting website visitors Something is wrong with my Buff Orpington hen - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Something is wrong with my Buff Orpington hen

I have 6 Buff Orpington hens who are around 2 years old. They have always been very lively and healthy, I have never had any problems with them. There is one who seems to be very out of it and is having trouble walking. I first noticed the problem when she wasn't going up to roost at night. And when I would physically put her up in the coop, she wouldn't come down the next day. So I made them a new ladder that was not as steep so she would get up easier. But that didn't help. When I tried putting her on the roost, it was like her legs gave out and she just fell forward on her head. I separated her from the rest of them and bought electrolytes with vitamins to put in her water. She is eating, drinking and pooping like normal. She is also molting right now so she has not laid an egg since October. I noticed today that her legs and the bottom of her feet are very pink. But there are no signs of bumblefoot and otherwise she looks normal. He feathers are also a little bit ruffled looking in the back. She doesn't seem to be using her wings atall and when I pick her up and put her back down, she falls and stumbles around. I am not sure what else to do

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Could she be calcium deficient?

It might be worth making her porridge with milk and giving her some little bits of stale bread with enriched margarine (for vitamin D) or get some Calcium and vit D powder from your vets if you prefer.

Good Luck,

Sandie

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management