converting website visitors Nasal object - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Nasal object

Daisy .. IMG_0757
Daisy is 16 week old Pekin Bantam who lives In a covered run with 2 siblings from a day old. She is healthy but has recently got some thing in her nostril. I can't pick it off and have tried to soften it with olive oil and sudocrem. The inside of her beak is normal. She had no discharge or congestion. It hasn't changed in size in 2 days. What can it be?

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited September 28
    hello
    this could be the result of an infection if shes been unwell beforehand  or it could be a build up of mucus from an allergic reaction to the bedding or surroundings or just a blockage of food and dust
     whatever the cause its best to try to remove it as the longer its there the harder it will get - try wiping the blockage with warm salty water to break up any mucus and add acv to her water( dont use a metal bowl )
    if she does start showing any symptoms like sneezing / difficulty breathing then take her to a vet to get abs
     hope this helps
    x kath
  • Thanks. It's a perfectly round thing, flared down onto the beak all around It's peculiar. She is so full of beans too. It's the same this eve in spite of olive oil this morning but I will try to remove it. Over the weekend. I'm rather uneasy attempting to remove it in case it's attached. It wouldn't be a insect pupae would it ???!
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    I'm not getting a very good view of the blocking object.

Just a thought....it isn't a tick. is it? I've had a sheep tick attach to a chicken, but they are usually around the eyes.

Sorry if my suggestion is way off, but I'm not really seeing the blockage.

Sandie
  • It's the yellow volcano shaped big pimpleIMG_0759
    IMG_0760
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Blimey!. It looks like it could be solidified secretions.....I would try softening it with water and trying to remove it.

Good Luck,

Sandie
  • Still trying to pick at the nose noodle ! She sounds a little like a duck. Poor thing. No change and no luck. I'm foxed. Vaseline at bedtime next.
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    hi
     how are you and Daisy doing ? if the blockage is still there then best to
    get a vets opinion . the blockage may already be too hard to remove
    without causing damage. antibiotics should break it down
    x kath

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management<<<<<<< .merge_file_V391Zq=======>>>>>>> .merge_file_B36pBT