converting website visitors little black chick - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

little black chick

hi
just an update on the little chick . heres a pic
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/115937642924342264831/6462791464302581522?icm=false&iso=true
 not so black any more but staying quite small. its over 6 weeks old and still not as big as a blackbird yet so way too small to integrate
x kath

Comments

• sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Pretty cute, though.

I'm forgetting what breed she is.

Could you put her outside in a  small pen so the others to get used to her?

My second 7 have become intrepid free-rangers....going across whole fields....makes me a bit anxious given the fate of one of my older 4. They're pretty stupid, too, forever being unable to find their way back now they are too big to go through the rectangles of the mesh.

Good Luck,

sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    Shes a silkie Sandie- meant to be gold partridge but the jurys out on that one !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i did buy a large cage and put it on the patio for sally sioux to go in with the 2 babies but as you know that all went wrong . this little one is small enough to get through the bars still
     your magnifiscent 7 sound cute . how are the 3 muskateers doing ? and how is Jared now?
    x Kath
    Doesn't look like she'll be Gold Partridge, Kath....and sounds like bantam, too.

Of the Magnificent 7, one has severe cross beak.....managing to eat fine right now and looks like a cockerel, but probably 5 are pullets.....always difficult to tell when there's a Naked Neck there. The 3 Shedkateers still look like cockerels, but aren't causing any grief ....not trying to crow etc., so they're here for now.

Jared had face surgery in Bristol and had  a bit of a shaky start thereafter, but is seeming pretty well now. Cost....nearly £5k.....about half of which we hope the insurance will pay. Daughters say he's priceless, I just say VERY expensive.

Sandie

thats some vet bill Sandie :-O
    so pleased he recovered though, you would be lost without him
    yes
    this little chick is still very small with us and so still indoors in a
    budgie cage despite being  7 weeks old now ......and still driving us
    mad with its panic screaching every time i leave the room
    x kathxx
    WHAT have you got, Kath?  Not a blackbird, is it? (Only jesting, but it doesn't sound like Gold Partridge anything). You really need to toughen her up soon, though, unless you plan to keep her permanently in the budgie cage (when you haven' got her on your lap/kitchen floor/watching tv etc). she sounds super spoilt, but I have no room at all to talk as I have a flock of spoilt sheep as well as the most expensive Border Collie in the country.

I decided that the cockerel with the severely twisted beak wasn't going to be able to manage to eat much longer, so he was culled today. I never feel good about it, even when I know they have a fatal deformity. The remaining 6 are still looking like 5 hens and one cockerel. There are 3 Gold Partridge Brahma pullets, the remaining chicks are a mainly black and very mixed cockerel, a "Blue Partridge" Naked Neck and what can only be described as a Grey Pencilled Brahma....wish I could post pics. Her feathers are amazing, mid grey with an almost black edge. Hoping that 'she' really does turn out to be a she and then I'll  get a Brahma cock (if the little one who is in the cage indoors turns out to be a Blue Partridge cockerel) collect her eggs (I hope) and see what we get. Knowing my luck 'she' will start crowing any time soon.

The 3 shed cockerels are remarkably silent....not a peep out of them at about 21 weeks....but they scrap with each other quite a lot. Gordon just utterly ignores them....and even he only crows a couple of times a day now. My hens are all moulting and the place is littered with their feathers. They are pretty subdued and haven't laid for several weeks.

Anyway, Kath.....what about another pic of the blackbird?

heres the latest pic - https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/115937642924342264831/6468202781839992738?icm=false&iso=true
     very scruffy and more grey than black and whats going on with its head?????????????
    i started to wonder if it was a pilkie (silkiexpolish)due to its size and head tuft but i looked into it and apparently if you cross a silkie with a feathered breed the off spring will have feathers...this one has lots of down , black skin and 5 toes so def. silkie yet its still really small
     wevw named it ....Kipling due to its love of cakes called yum yums ...basically a twisted doughnut - it tried to eat some from my mouth the other day  :-&
     whether its mr or mrs kipling is yet to be confirmed but it is making very strange noises at times that could be attempts at crowing . also it does a pretty good impression of chest bumping when it pecks the dogs nose foe getting too close.
    Kipling is still too small to go jn the big garden cage i bought but its being used at the moment to house a wood pigeon that my son found on the road yesterday thats not flying for some reason . cant see any wounds and its got bright eyes and new looking feathers so may be a youngster thats not getting enough to eat due to the rain maybe
    my chooks are mostly moulting too and just one is laying so alls pretty quiet in the garden
    sorry to hear about your little one with the twisted beak - so sad
    xx kath

Eek....not just a blackbird, but a blackbird with a Mohican. It DOES look more like a cross than  a pure bred....but very interesting nonetheless.

Sandie

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management