converting website visitors Can a human get worms from an infected chicken? - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Can a human get worms from an infected chicken?

Tracy62 Junior Member
edited August 2007 in Poultry Health and Welfare
Does anyone know if a human can get worms from an infected chicken? Just wondering how concerned I should be in letting my children handle the birds as they sometimes scratch them. We have about 15 eight week old chicks that we are taming to hand. I haven't wormed them and they free range. Should I be concerned about them getting anything? We all wash our hands after handling the birds and treat scratches as we normally would. Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Comments

• crazychick Senior Member
    edited August 2007
    No- the parasites in chickens are more-or-less species specific, although some may require a secondary host to complete their lifecycle (tapeworms require earthworms, in the case of chickens). External parasites are the same- lice and mites will crawl onto people but will not stay there or reproduce there. Mammalian worms (from cats, dogs etc) are more likely to infect a human, but I don't know the likelihood of that either.

I would deworm your chooks about every 2-4 months, though, just to keep them in top health. I would start doing that at about 6 months old.

Laura
  • Tracy62 Junior Member
    edited August 2007
    :) Thanks for the reply! I'm learning and have found this website to be very helpful!
    t
  • I have free range six month old chickens. And recently discover tape worm segments in their poo. I freaked out as I naively didn't think that this would be an issue in chickens. I have taken them to the vet and had them de wormed. I will continue the medicine as recommended and de worm Regularly. My concern is my children although we maintain good
    Hygiene my children love the chickens and are always out there playing with them and bringing in the eggs (she has only just started laying) I can't guarantee that my children haven't touched something and not washed their hands. My question is are my children at risk of contracting tape worm from the infected chickens?
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    Humans don't get chicken tape worms.....so no need to worry.

Sounds like the chickens need worming, though! (I use Flubenvet).

• People considering getting backyard poultry ..Humans don't get chicken tape worms.....so no need to worry.

Sounds like the chickens need worming, though!