converting website visitors First chicks from our Chooks ! - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

First chicks from our Chooks !

Hi !

Haven't been here for quite a while, so I thought that an update should be in order !

Last May one of our Suffolk Blues went Broody and bless her she sat on six eggs, not all hers as usual !

We became proud keepers of three chickens and two Cockerels ! lucky in numbers.

Anyway, pics will be added. We kept them in their own 'run' inside the pen, as they got bigger, and bolder, we introduced them to the flock, WOW ! They were, obviously, pecked on ! The two boys tried strutting their stuff and were rapidly put in their place by 'Boyo' the resident Cock.

At week twelve the young lads started puffing up and having a go at the others and Mumma hen, so we separated the two from the rest, as we had decided that they would be for the table. Mother hen and the three new chickens settled in well with the rest and by the second night all chickens and 'Boyo' were all happily living together. The boys on the other hand, after being together for a further eighteen weeks, as expected, started fighting, so they were separated from each other as the blood was a flowing most mornings !

Any way by week thirty they had been dispatched and consumed. The girls now in a flock of eight birds were producing six to eight eggs a day ! Far to many for us on our own, so the senior folk in the nearby village receive them. In return we receive home made bread, cakes, and home grown veg and salad in return. It all works lovely.

Tina decided that the girls needed an up grade in living accomodation and purchased a six by four garden shed ! All kitted out with water and food facilities, and new nesting boxes in the shape of fruit boxes, and an array of perches. Their new home has been painted and Tina has now christen said coop, wait for it your gonna love this,

"Cluckingham Palace"

Pics to follow !

Anyway, that's where we are now, we are awaiting the birth of fourteen calves also starting from end of next week ! So busy times here at the Croft.

Hope everyone else is well,

Best wishes

AJ

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    Lovely to hear from you and something of a miracle to spot you amonst all the spam
     loving the name cluckingham palace :)
     isnt it fascinating watching a broody raise chicks -pity 2 were cocks ..all 6 eggs my broody hatched were cocks now that i plan on getting a cockerel i suppose ill get all hens this year.
    good luck with the calving
    xx kath
  • Al JonesAl Jones Junior Member
    edited March 25
    IMG_2818
    IMG_2819
    IMG_1320
    IMG_1322
    IMG_1325
    IMG_1331
    IMG_1332
    IMG_1206
    IMG_1207
    IMG_1208
    IMG_2712
    IMG_0605
    IMG_1818
    IMG_1819
    IMG_1820
    IMG_1821
    IMG_0422
    IMG_1223
    IMG_1822
    IMG_1823
    IMG_1825
    IMG_1832
    IMG_1833
    IMG_1834
    IMG_0435
    IMG_0436
    IMG_0437
    IMG_1221
    IMG_1264
    IMG_1265
    IMG_1266
    IMG_1267
    IMG_1268
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 29
    wow thanks for posting all those brilliant pics ...youve been really busy i see

theyre all looking really fit and healthy with you there .
     how are the dogs with the new arrivals?
    i cant set any eggs yet because we"re still in lockdown in Wales -have been since December - such a drag - but hoping itll all be over soon
    take care
    Kathxx
    Hi Kath

The hounds just watch them, they look like they want to cwtch up with them, but mums won't let them.

We've tried to keep our birds as safe as possible, but because we get visits from wild ducks and moorhens, and flying rats it is hard to keep them visitor safe !

We just hope and watch them intently, clean bums and no snotty beaks, change in demeanor that sort of thing.

Al x

Leave a Comment

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management