converting website visitors Slaughtering / Culling - Questions about 'How' - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Slaughtering / Culling - Questions about 'How'

Hello TPS!

Like many of you I am interested in avian influenza. However, unlike all of you I know literally nothing about poultry and wild water fowl. With that in mind, could someone explain or direct me to a resource that explains how these animals are culled / slaughtered as is frequently required with high-path AI? I'm curious as to the techniques being employed surrounding the collection of the animals and method of killing, as well as anything related to storage and disposal of carcasses.

Perhaps this varies depending on the agency responsible, in which case I am interested in any and all protocols.

Thank you for your patience, TPS.
--BirdNovice

Comments

• solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Hi BirdNovice!

I can't answer your question myself, but it might be worth you contacting Defra or your local good farm vet for information.  Here is the Defra link:

• undautri Senior Member
    edited January 11
    Hi
    you didnt say which country you are in
    in UK any disease which can affect any livestock is dealt with by DEFRA- dept of environment , food and rural affairs - they have the final say in how hings are done during high risk times
     the usual method of culling large numbers is by gas but if its just one or two birds then a vet  gives a injection to put them to sleep .the carcasses are then incinerated
    as for collection - the birds being culled arent wild birds but captive ones so they are already in one place and are usually culled there.
    strict biosecurity is used wherever infected birds are found
    a problem with A.I. is that it affects different breeds in different ways - some die whilst others can just be a bit off colour so it would be impossible to know if wild birds are infected or not unless they die and can then be tested so all we can do to protect our poultry is keep them away from any wild birds.
    a university in Scotland has discovered that the A.I. virus spreads more easily in cold weather as the gel surrounding the virus hardens in the cold making it less likely to get damaged passing from host to host - its not an airborne virus but passes through direct contact with body fluid and faeces...heat softens the gel surrounding the virus making it more destructable ....so roll on Spring
    \:D/
    hope ive helped answer some things for you
    kath
  • edited January 11
    @Solarbats

Thanks for your response. I've reached out to them to see what the approved methods are and what is most commonly employed.

I did not specify my country because I figured it would vary depending on location. I'm more interested in what is used internationally rather than in one single location.

As for the culling methods you've brought up, thank you. I suppose DEFRA will eventually give me a response along the lines of what you've just written.

Thank you both.

Our Sponsors

Partners

Seasonal Picks

Poultry Breeds and Management