Well co-ordinated girls.

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited March 2015 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I have been rather quiet recently (I only wish the same could be said of my constant companion,tinnitus), and have just got over 'flu followed by a nasty chest infection....BUT.....I now have eggs.

No eggs from about the first week in December,and, about 10 days ago I heard a familiar (though not heard fro a long time) noise from the hen house...the egg song. Not one egg,but 6 were laid that day.

So....how did they co-ordinate their laying so well? None for months then 6.

Ah well, I don't have to buy those pale imitations any more.

Sandie

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    wasn't that the day we beat France in the rugby? eggi egggi eggi oy oy oy :D
    well coordinated , unlike my lot
    hope youre over your infections now
    xx kath
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    And do they all want to lay in exactly the same spot, no matter how many nest boxes you have?:D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Of course they all want the one nest box.......apart from those who choose to lay somewhere I don't find until there is a huge pile of rotting eggs or a broody atop.

Sandie
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    That is amazing coordination. Are they all from the same type of hen? You have had a really rough 2015 so far. Has the tinnitus settled at all? Have you found a coping strategy?

The desire to lay in one place I think is instinct rather than finding the 'best' nest. When there are enough eggs in the nest the broody can take over! I have had 2 or 3 garden mounds of eggs. How I can miss them I don't know, but these hens can be very cunning! I didn't miss Tango last year (she was nesting in a hedge and not going to the house at night) until she dropped her guard and I watched her heading back to her very large clutch of eggs!
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Kath....just on Saturday we beat France......and,boy was I shouting! Most of my infections have gone.....but my ears are troublesome right now.

Jules....I'm keeping as busy as possible,plus swallowing happy pills.....and they seem to be helping a bit, but the hissing in my ears is pretty invasive..

The hens are all different types, and I have just found one laying behind a downpipes from the barn....so yet another place to check.

I absolutely agree about the garden mounds....you can walk right past a seemingly obvious clutch for days. I've found over 20 on some occasions.....seems such a waste.

Sandie
    edited March 2015
    Have you tried listening to gentle music to mask the sound of the hiss? Using an iPOD or something similar might work?
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    The times I have tried to out-think a hen regarding where her mystery clutch may be:o Then to suddenly come across it almost hiding in plain sight! Usually it's Tango (little white eggs) or Willo (blue eggs), although unlike Jules' hen, these two don't go broody, just keep piling them up!
    Oh eck - now I've talked something up;)
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    i dont have that problem thank goodness - mine all lay in the nest boxes
    including little Gracie who laid her very first egg on Monday :D :D
    shes making a big deal out of sorting out the hay- tossing it all out the door !!!!!!
    yet another of mine whos not doing the egg song ....only Georgie and lillybeth do it and they lay the least eggs :D
    xx kath
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited March 2015
    Whether I've got 4 (as I do at the mo) or 10 (which I have had)...all want the same nestbox but I've rarely had eggs laid anywhere else except when Sage, Onion and Nuggett decided to share broody duties one year!:D

And I didn't know we had two Tangos amongst us...Helen and Jules - are they the same breed?...although I undstand Helen's is 'elle evil one' (bless!!):D M
    edited March 2015
    Well, I am not sure what my Tango is.... she is a gingery bantam with a small head on a large body (sounds wrong, but actually she looks great).