converting website visitors Still No Eggs - The Poultry Site Forum

ThePoultrySite.com - news, features, articles and disease information for the poultry industry

Still No Eggs

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
edited January 2015 in Poultry Health and Welfare
I really think that I need to get some young hens.....my old girls are still not laying and I'm having to buy pale imitations from the supermarket ....much to my disgust.

I haven't been baking since I fell became unwell at the end of October, so not so many eggs being used.. My surgery is now planned urgently for 22nd January. Much trepidation....but no choice in the matter.

So between now and then I am doing my utmost to keep my mind occupied.

Sandie

Comments

• Littlechick Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    We will be thinking of you Sandie. I guess that it's an easily reversed operation so if it makes things worse, they will take the grommet out and the ear drum will heal?

Eggs.. sorry to say but we collected 9 yesterday, including the first green/blue egg for months. The girls are all starting back into lay again with a real enthusiasm. Two more overnight....

One of our newest arrivals, Lily who is almost completely bald (wish I could upload photos) has laid every single day this week (silly hen). She lives in the kitchen with Lucy (she is not well. Arrived with Lily, feathering well, but has bad diarrhoea which I am trying to sort out. Thought it might be a new diet that has upset her bacterial gut balance so she is on some meds) and shouts a lot whilst she is laying (wish people knew that egg laying isn't that easy!!).
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Oh good luck Sandie, not long to go now and it will all be over. No eggs from this end either. I thought maybe one of my little new chicks might have started but not a thing as yet. No doubt before long I'll be complaining I'm snowed under, and then all the broodies will start :D
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Talking of snow...yes we have some....and the temp. is very low.

It seems an age since I was making omelettes for the dog to use eggs up. Oh broodies....forgot what a pest they can be (auto-correct just had that as BROADS!).

I'm the real undead at the moment and can't have the op soon enough. Loud hissing,pressure, pain and deafness in both ears day and night has rendered me a pathetic, weepy soup without any dignity.

I look forward to the anaesthetic....it will be the first proper sleep I have had since the end of October.

Sandie
    edited January 2015
    Sounds really grim. Really hope that your op happens on Thursday (sorry to be negative, but is there a chance it will be cancelled? All the publicity about hospitals cancelling routine ops atm - our local hospital did just that last week when OH went in for knee op but he was lucky - private - so it went ahead).

Gorgeous photo. Snow is lovely when you don't have to experience it.....
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Hope your op does sort things out for you Sandie. In the meantime - any sheep therapy coming up? How is Longface these days? Has she had a secret tryst with the naughy ram lately?

As for eggs - those hybrids just don't stop, even though I'd like them too:rolleyes: A whole trayful of eggs and still some pure breeds to come into lay yet:eek:
    edited January 2015
    Thank you girls for the encouragement. Jules. I'm praying my surgery goes ahead....they are now classifying it as 'urgent'....though still it depends on a bed being available. The private sector is great for getting things done quickly,though.

Helen...I've forgotten what a real egg yolk looks like. Even though I'm buying free range organic, they are pale imitations of those my girls produce.

Well, as regards sheep, Helen. Old Longface (yes,still with us...about 11 or 12 now) was allowed to be 'put to the tup' this year as she will only go looking for 'a one night stand' if we don't! She is expecting twins at the end of March....is happy, greedy, fat and lovely ...as always.

However....yesterday saw an 'unplanned event'.....hubby's fault not mine (well not really totally down to him). At the side of the house is a grassy strip that leads to a field, and above that strip are the rams all apart from Goliath who has stayed with the pregnant ladies as he needs to have a harem with him. The non-pregnant ('Dry Ewes) were sent onto the strip a few days ago to go to the field at the end. OH being OH he decided he couldn't be bothered to take the silage feeder along the strip. Sheep being sheep, they stayed by the silage feeder. So....rams in the field above the dry ewes....separated by a fence.

Mid afternoon, OH said "who is on the strip?"....short term memory not his finest point. "The Dries", says I."Well that's interesting" says OH "I just saw one of the ewes simulating bonking with another ewe". I went to look.... "Not simulating" says I,"That's Dave on the strip". A tell-tale bit of fleece on the wire bore witness to why sheep are called 'wooly jumpers'.....and Dave was, indeed, vigorously sewing wild oats.

So...he's there still...and we may have some VERY late lambs. Our lambing is nothing if not chaotic!

Sandie
    edited January 2015
    How wonderful to hear your news about Longface. Though I remember it being a little tense last year hoping that she would get through the birthing OK. When is she due?

You have some great stories to tell!!

Are your dry ewes girls who weren't serviced by the rams at the right time? Do you then take them away from the boys and stop them from getting pregnant? Is there a problem with Dave (love the name btw) having his way with them and late lambs arriving? And having had his way with them, will he be staying with them or be cast back with the other lads?
    edited January 2015
    Jules....Longface is due at the end of march. She was VERY insistent that Dave 'serviced' her whilst she was in season,so I can work out her EDD (approx 147 days).

The dry ewes are ones who did not get pregnant even though they were with the ram at the appropriate time. The rams are usually pretty 'thorough' in checking their girls daily,but do miss some at times.Some matings don't result in pregnancy and some pairings just don't work for whatever reason.I suspect one of my girls is just barren....never produced a lamb with any male.Some of the sry ewes are just lambs who are too small to ovulate.

The rams are (theoretically)out from ewes to prevent pregnancies way out of season (though the sort of sheep I have are seasonal breeders and don't usually ovulate as late as January). Dave is in with the girls now and we have left him there as 'damage already done' and he is a ladies' man.

I have 4 rams Goliath (massive) in with the pregnant ewes, Dave, Bruce and Rastus. Rastus is my personal favourite as he has decided to become a 'cuddle ram' . He comes over every morning, ignoring the food, for his cuddle....one arm over the back of his neck,the other stroking his face.....he nuzzles his face into my chest and closes his eyes.....All my rams are well mannered and friendly....no 'ramming' and butting, thank goodness.

Sandie
    edited January 2015
    They all have characters! Lucky Dave then, his persistence has paid off. Are all your sheep the same breed? Rastus sounds very clever - do sheep have a pecking order and is he lower down if so? There are not many animals that will want the affection before their food.. it is special.

Are you booked for a day operation? Home by the end of the day?
    edited January 2015
    I have two types of sheep,Jules.....4 big Blue Faced Leicesters and the rest medium sized Beulah Speckled Face ...a local breed.

Rams very much have a hierarchy. The shepherd(ess) needs to be alpha ram....that's me (ho,ho,ho!). Rastus is the bottom ram.....so endears himself to the alpha....but it's lovely to have a cuddle with him.

With regards to my nuisance ears....yes I'm booked as a day case,but have to have a general anaesthetic as I have 'curly, narrow ear canals'. i hope to be back to my own bed by nightfall.

sandie
  • undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    all the best for your op Sandie - hope all goes well
    Kath xx
    quite a turn out for me but ive a hen in lay in January ....Sally Sioux and Betsy just finished after Christmas ....still having to buy eggs though
    Sandie ....does this mean the incubators coming out this year or will you buy in?
    edited January 2015
    Kath.....my incubator needs not be fired up.....half my old ladies will be broody come March.

thank you for the good wishes,

Sandie
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Will be thinking of you tomorrow Sandie - hoping you will soon notice relief!

I think it's lurrvve between Longface and Dave...what a lovely story and Rastus sounds adorable:D

I'm getting one egg a day - Elphaba is so chuffed with herself!:cool: M
    edited January 2015
    Hope tomorrow's op is successful and you are soon back home enjoying the sound of silence :)
    edited January 2015
    I am hoping/praying the op. is not cancelled due to emergency admissions and hoping/praying that the op. is a success. I am such a misery to myself and everyone else at the moment as I feel so rotten......my nearest and dearest deserve a break from Morose Me.

Thank you for your kind wishes....they are much appreciated.

Sandie
  • BonnieBonnie Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Best wishes for tomorrow Sandie xx