That porridge had lumps in it.

sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
The old girl (Longface) finally went into labour yesterday,,,,complicated labour. She eventually produced triplets....and has no milk to speak of......and she STILL admits to nothing.

Sandie

Comments

• undautriundautri Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    that's wonderful news Sandie so pleased she survived and that the little ones are OK
    more work for you , i know, but what a pleasant ,rewarding, few weeks you have ahead
    xxkath
  • sandiesbrahmas Super Moderator
    edited May 2014
    I'm forgetting myself....here they are about 30 minutes after being born....two left with her and one in the kitchen.

On the left Joseph, and the lamb standing, Nia.

This is Aria....names chosen by daughters!

Sorry about the blood and birth fluids still around....I had not cleaned up the 'site of the massacre' by this time. They look so much more cute and cuddly now with all the gunk out of the way and everything pointing in the right direction.

It was a scary birth,though. Two came down at once, and then two out of the three were tail first (have to be pulled out very quickly and the sac cleared off the face or they die), The old girl stood up to it well, but only one side of her udder is working and that is so swollen the lambs can't get the milk.

As you say,Kath....something to while away the hours whilst I cannot walk properly or drive.

SORRY,FOLKS, this IS a chicken forum,

Sandie
  • solarbatssolarbats Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    I love hearing about your woolly friends, especially Longface!

And believe me - this scene looks very tame to me:rolleyes:
  • Littlechick Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    ~Yay, wonderful news today. Longface is standing there as if nothing has happened! Guess you were expecting complications. How did you manage to know when it was going to happen? Had you kept her inside somewhere? Were you checking all the time? How much warning is there with the birth? Sorry so many questions. The lambs look gorgeous... will her udder sort itself out? Congratulations. :D :D
    edited May 2014
    Wow....lambing in a paragraph.
    Impending birth is usually obvious....ewe off food, leaves the rest of the flock,gets up and lies down repeatedly She then often starts to paw the ground ('nesting') and this gets more and more frequent. She stretches her neck, lip curls, looks at her rear, licks her lips a lot and starts a low bleating noise (calling to unborn lamb). Theses are the classical signs. Long had been kept near the shed and came in,wanted company, lay down, wouldn't eat (HIGHLY abnormal for her)...then started lip curling and pushing.
    It can take many hours, but she had shown signs of 'not being right' in the morning, with birth all over by 5:00 pm.
    Two lambs came down together, so she needed help from the start. The first lamb out (Aria) had loads of meconium in the sac, was a backward birth and VERY short of oxygen. She took a while to breathe and had a couple of fits. Yesterday she was passing red/brown urine which I think was myoglobin due to muscle damage caused by the fitting. This has all cleared now and she seems very well (Interestingly the vet had never heard of the problem!).
    The other two (Nia and Joseph) are with mum. they are being bottle supplement. One side of her udder is not working still,but I milked her down a couple of times from the swollen side and managed to get Nia to suck. Nia is now taking milk from mum,but Joseph still hasn't gotten the hang.
    Today all look well.
    Longface had the 'privilege' of analgesia (Metacam) after her difficult birth and has recovered from her ordeal quite quickly. She is a very proud and protective mother.
    Lambing can be so joyous,but so awful at the same time. Had we not been around to help,it is likely all 4 would be dead (Impacted labour).
    Although we are not exactly out of the woods yet,the trees are thinning out rapidly!.
    Oh,I DO so hope I'm not boring you all rigid!

Sandie
  • doormouse Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    So Longface shares her porridge with chickens, 'nests' when she's about to give birth and takes metacam when she needs it...that makes her an honorary chicken in my book so you can post as many woolly stories as you like!:D

Wonderful news and georgeous pics - and I wouldn't have noticed the gory bits if you hadn't mentioned it! Congratulations Longface!:D :cool: M
  • 275wright275wright Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Oh congratulations Sandie. Just getting to see this now. What a clever girl, but so glad you were there to help her. How gorgeous are they, so envious xxxx
  • monkeymummy Senior Member
    edited May 2014
    Sandie - love lambing 101 - thank you!! So nice to see her and her lovely babies. We're sending lots of positive vibes from Hemel!

Sarah
    edited May 2014
    Never boring. Absolutely love hearing about it. Lucky Longface, in more ways than one!! Please keep us up to date with what is happening. And thank you for your wonderful information on how it all happens.... I think I would be a bundle of nerves at lambing time. Reckon you can't get much sleep when it all kicks off.
    edited May 2014
    here is little Arya appreciating the fabric conditioner!

And, recalling this is a poultry form.....I have just been to do my night bottle feed and found two broodies stuck fast on the eggs I had forgotten to collect. So.....grabbed one broody and took her to the barn, Grabbed the other broody (Blackchops)....pecking, flapping and being generally grossly obnoxious...got to the barn and out came the first broody (Dee). So back to collect Dee and out came Blackchops....to cut the story short 4 journeys to get them both in (with my broken ankle and 'moon boot').

Then I note that Longface is making an odd sound....one of her lambs has somehow managed to get into the water bucket (I never fill them when ewes have lambs....so wet, but not harmed). So 10 minutes of drying a lamb and topping up Longface's lambs with milk. Then Jimmi (8 week old bottle lamb who should a) be already weaned and b)be outside with his contemporaries) made such a pathetic bleating noise that I let him back in and allowed him to finish the 1.5 litres of milk I had and get down with a sick ewe Caitlin ......What a fatty he is, but I feel sorry for him as his friend Jason, the other bottle lamb, died of pneumonia a few days back.....

Sandie
    edited May 2014
    Sandie have you ever thought of writing a book? It sounds like you will be wearing your moonboot for some time... it's so hectic in the wilds of Wales, you are getting no rest! I think all your animals know you are a soft touch..... :cool: So instead of hennies in the utility/kitchen, you have lambs :)